Saturday, July 17, 2004
 
I can broadcast my thoughts
Estimated Days Until Blogger Burnout: 10
 
I have discovered that I have a second magical power.
 
The first is obvious and shared by many.  I can make it rain.
 
It sounds somewhat likely, I know, but every time I pay to have my car washed, it invariably rains within 24 hours.  That or I can make sprinklers bust in such a way that driving through their spray in unavoidable.  You get the idea.
 
The other magical power I have just discovered is that, apparently, I can broadcast the contents of my thoughts.  For some reason, though, my brain waves can only be picked up and interpreted by people in the entertainment industry.  I wonder if it has something to do with my physical proximity to Hollywood.
 
Let me explain: Last year I read The Iliad and The Odyssey.  Next thing you know: Brad Pitt in Troy.   Then I read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... and they started shooting the film in April.
 
I started getting suspicious.  But this clinched it:  I just finished (last week) reading Beowulf for the first time.  I know, "Big deal, I read that in like eighth grade".  But... wait for it... it will now be turned into a major Hollywood motion picture.
 
Coincidence is now off the table.  The only logical conclusion can be that I am somehow influencing the decision making processes of people dozens of miles away whom I have never met without even trying.  It's a little scary if I consider it too closely, but I think I can trust myself.  With great power comes great responsibility.
 
That said--and I'm just putting this out there--if anyone has anything they would like to see adapted from page to screen in the near future, please forward your ideas to me and I will sit and think about them until they get green-lit.  Please, no Jane Austen.  It's not that I dislike Austen, I just don't think there are any of her books left to be made into films.
 
Amazing as this is, I can offer no promises.  After all, it took me nearly 15 years to get Lord of the Rings off the ground.
 
But look how well that worked out for everyone.
 
Fingers crossed.
 
 
This post on the Narcissus Scale: 4.4
 
 
Pops

|

Powered by Blogger