Tuesday, July 20, 2004
 
I choose idle hands
Estimated Days Until Blogger Burnout: 6
 
 
The novelty is wearing off.  Not about blogging, I mean my new flat panel LCD monitor for my comptuer.  It's getting to the point where I can hardly remember what the old one looked like or even believe that I ever had something that large weighing my desk down.
 
It's strange, though, how flashes of insight can come from the most unlikely sources.
 
After setting up this monitor and regaining access to my desktop computer, I have been hit with a sudden, life-changing realization:
 
I am a lazy bastard.
 
No really, it's true.  Thank you, Samsung.  All that time and money doing R&D work (or stealing it from others, whatever... I'm in a forgiving mood) to make a pretty picture without a cathode ray tube; turns out you were manufacturing Epiphany-in-a-Box all along.  Bless you, my Japanese friends.
 
In the five days I had with just me and my dowdy, workmanlike Dell laptop I remembered what it was like to be a human being engaged with thoughts and ideas.  I submitted a story for publication at a litmag for the first time in nearly a year.  I actually wrote nearly an entire paragraph of new material.  Granted it was a very bad paragraph and eventually led to nothing, but at least I was plugged in.
 
But then the new monitor was up and running and suddenly... complete and total deflation.  I sit here despondent, drooling, paralyzed with too many options of things to do with my computer now that it has all been restored to me.
 
Working on the laptop was limiting, but strangely not at all confining.  It's a paradox I suppose: the more options I have, the less I want to do.  The more constricted and confined I am (still talking about options here, not BDSM... although now people using "BDSM" in a blog search may find this one... how curious) the more focused I am, the more capable I am of expansive thought.
 
I really am fascinated with myself, I must admit.
 
But as for the glut of opportunities for time-wasting on this thing, I mostly blame the people who make video games.  Whether it's the people at EA Sports for making crowds that jump and scream when you do something good or the loads of detailed, researched information that propel me through one of my überdork history simulation games, the pull of them is such that I find myself partaking even when I don't want to.  I would rather be productive, honestly.  But really, who has the time?  Goals to score and pagans to smite.  You can put it off and put it off, but the pagans are not going to smite themselves, people.
 
 
This post on the Narcissus Scale: 9.25
 
 
Pops


|

Powered by Blogger