Wednesday, July 21, 2004
 
I want my BlogTV
Estimated Days Until Blogger Burnout: 5


The EDUBB index is dropping steadily. I almost decided not to post anything today.

I'm a somewhat adrift this afternoon. I realized just today that I've become too interested in someone else's blog at the expense of everyone else in the whole blogosphere.

It's strange and insidious the way these things work into your everyday habits. The closest comparison I can find is television. We follow a certain show, become familiar with the characters and the setting. Only the situations change from episode to episode, but really not very much. I'm fairly certain as I watch ER, for instance, that something medical will happen.

That's as technical as I can get with that, "something medical".  Oh, the images it conjures up.  And I wonder why I've never been published...

But anyway, as my quest to find like-minded bloggers rambles on, I stumbled across one that fit my needs.  Smart and funny, slightly skewed worldview with a regular (but not overwhelming) readership and active, regular postings.  Add to it I could expect the occasional response to one of my wise-ass comments and all was good.  It's like TV that talks back to you! 

So, things go along, la-di-da, days go forward and the world spins.  Check on it when I have a free second here and there, once or twice a day.  Then the blogstress decides to have a life outside of her blog and stop updating for a while.

Oh.  Not a thought for the rest of us, oh no.

Lightning crash-revelation time: Hey dummy, go read a different one.  Or several.

Ah yes, I say to myself while simultaneously promising to bludgeon myself later for the "dummy" comment.

Television has bad writing more often than not.  And freshly canned laughter to help remind you that you are, in fact, enjoying yourself whether the writing/acting/production in general is enjoyable or not.

For blogs, it seems to me, good writing should be the first and only criteria.  There should be even less wiggle room than television (or just about any other media except for... you know... writing) in the event the writing goes south since that's all there is.

But there is freedom in the amateur-ness of all this self-revelatory verbal vomit that is Blogland.  With that understood, a blogger can have bad writing days and the Peanut Gallery will come back again, provided the bad turn isn't permanent... or evidence of some kind of psychotic break... although now that I think about it the latter wouldn't be half bad reading.

I feel better about myself already.

So if this sucks, my legions of readers, I apologize.  Troll through the massive backlog of posts and find something good.  It will be the promise of slightly less suckful things to come.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 5.8

 
Pops


Comments:
Skewed? Hey!
 
That's more of a compliment than even I realized when I first wrote it. That's the problem with most blogs, everyone is so goddamn conventional. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about them. Zzzzzz...
 
People who live on communes, run fish farms, and think that the idea of society is passe are unconventional. I live in a suburb, dutifully attend college, and believe that marrying the father of your child is a good idea. I am conventional.
 
No, there's actual conventional and there's blog conventional. People who run conventional blogs, for example, rarely reference fish farms. Their imagination is crowded out by the cataloguing of every excruciating personal detail of the lives of people I have no interest in knowing, which makes me want to shove toothpicks in my eyes. You know, the pointy way, not the side way.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger