Monday, July 12, 2004
 
Reason for Being
Estimated Days Until Blog Burnout: 30 (climing?)


So in an effort to be conscientious about this whole blog thing, I decided I would go and nose around through some other people's blogs.

This was a very strange experience. Since my feelings about blogging in re self-importance, it seemed almost paradoxical. I mean, to take an activity as self-referential as blogging into the domain of OTHER people's repetitive and inane bullshit very nearly does not compute at all. This is supposed to be about me, after all, and here I am reading other people's stuff about them. I was troubled.

But amongst the clouds and fog, a ray of light: people actually use these things for USEFUL purposes sometimes. For instance, I noted several people using their blog as a writing log, both to publish things they wrote (largely lame) and/or to chart the progess of things they were working on as a means of self motivation.

Wow.

Still all hubris and me-centered, sure, but could it be possible that there is a way to make this thing cross reference into another part of one's life that is not entirely disposable? I am curious. Intrigued. My interest is piqued. Unless it's "peaked", but I think it's "piqued". Can't be sure and can't be arsed to go find a dictionary.

I forgot to warn you that I am given to fits of pretension that mostly manifest themselves in the form of English slang.

Anyway, I am embarrassed to admit this but Pops fancies himself as something of a writer. But seeing as I am a Pops, I have three little kids, with whom I spend a vast majority of my time while Mrs. Pops earns us a living out there in the real world. As a result, Pops has a built-in excuse for being "too tired" to write (being a housewife and all). But now I see how people use this thing to goad themselves forward. It's shocking, really.

I used to write poetry like crazy. But since I left college, it just seems like a silly thing to do. I tried short stories and I still like the format, but I can never figure out how to end the damn things. I have been working on something novel-length, but I've been stuck at 60,000 words or so for a good long time now. Plus it's not very good. But the idea is to get the first one out of the way so I can get on with a decent one once I get all the crap ideas out of my system.

I know I'm not fooling anyone, least of all myself. I don't think I'll be suddenly writing on the pace I was back when I only had one little sprog to chase around, but it's good to know it's there. Just one more motivational technique for me to ignore. Now back to FIFA 2004 on my desktop here.


Today's Post on the Narcissism Scale: 4.7 (I did mention other people after all)



Pops

|

Powered by Blogger