Saturday, July 17, 2004
 
Some things sound lame when blogged
Estimated Days Until Blogger Burnout: 9
 
 
Context.  It's probably my favorite word.  If you study history (like I did) and actually enjoy it, it's the thing you're looking for.  Plus, it just makes this muddled and confusing, which to me is quite a good thing.  Black and white is nice if you're, say, choosing new kitchen tiles or planning to invade Iraq.  In circumstances like those, you can't let yourself get bogged down in useless, annoying detail.  You choose one or the other.
 
But everything else is colored by context, and that's what makes the world interesting.
 
What am I getting at?  Well, in filling out my Blogger profile, I have been loath to mention a few things because of how they will read in the context of a Blogger profile.  What I mean by that is if I were to include certain things, then people who were familiar with personal blogs in general might make certain assumptions based on their experience in the blogosphere (a new word for me).
 
For instance, I take a martial arts class.  Aikido, to be exact.  I can explain here that I take it because I spend my days at home with my kids and for me, it's a chance to among adults and get a little exercise at the same time.
 
But think of it in the general context of a Blog.  "I'm into martial arts" means "I'm a fourteen year old who buys mail-order ninja stars".  That or I'm someone who lets it define their whole existence, mixing in Confucian quotes and Japanese words and characters into their blatherings, usually bastardized to the point of unintelligibility. 
 
Which brings us to my second favorite word, perspective.  It's a quality that I've found is especially rare in human beings.  Let's be clear, I'm not claiming it for myself, at least not in any larger dosage than your average blogster.
 
Perhaps it's an unfair characterization as blogs tend to be themed, so we don't get to see the larger whole of a human soul (yes that's right, context again), but it seems like blind extremism rules among bloggers: they tend to believe what they believe all the way.  No brakes, no consideration, no context, no perspective.  It's not that I think they aren't capable of it, it's just they choose not to employ it... er them.  Also, grammar is a problem.
 
In short blogs tend to be about obsessions.  This dovetails nicely with the idea that blogs are public versions of personal journals (OK fine, diaries).
 
In case it isn't clear yet what I'm on about, I've been spending my time randomly clicking through blog lists looking for something to engage me and I've been coming up short.  Again, the sample might be skewed due to circumstances, this being an election year and all, but all I can find are political blogs.  And not one of them--not one--is even handed in any respect.
 
I know I made my Iraq joke at the beginning of this post, but you're not going to find alot of harangue going on here.  It's just tiresome.  I loathe--loathe--political crosstalk television and so far, by and large, the blogs I've found about politics are simple extensions of that strident, perspective-less tone from both left and right.
 
Some are funnier than others, and that I do appreciate.  Some writers are smarter than others and those are more easily spotted.
 
But there's got to be something between James Carville and Bill O'Reilly.  I mean something.  Anything.   Comedy Central has tried to parody the crosstalk shows with something called "Crossballs", but it's so contrived and inessential as to be completely dismissible (assuming that's a word).  Plus it misses the point: it's essentially a "gotcha" show where real people fight with actors who they think are real people like them, but really they're just there to offer ridiculous propositions and rejoinders to see how far they can take it.
 
The closest thing to tolerable is "The Daily Show", which I love.  But that show is all about media mockery, when you get down to it, so still, I'm starving.  There's always "Hardball" on MSNBC, but that only works when the host is doing all the interrupting.
 
Just someone, anyone, bust these mouthpieces for their stupid talking points.  And you, blogger, stop repeating those talking points.  There's a difference between facts and information.
 
 
This post on the Narcissus Scale: 5.9
 
 
Pops

 

Comments:
Well, you can always become a libertarian. They're all sitting on the fence in this election, so they tend to be more balanced. Perhaps the Volokh Conspiracy?

Also, you should consider that, while all blogs are public, not all bloggers write for audiences. When I started my website, I wrote about what I ate for lunch (and I also insulted my gym teachers and got suspended for that). Rereading those archives, I often wonder whether I was at least slightly brain-damaged throughout most of high school. But my writing did improve from sheer repetition. So think of blogging as a public service to stupid people--it's one more thing that might make them a little smarter, even if it tries your patience.

And the only things that are important to list in a profile are age, location, alma mater, grades therein (provided you're still in school), major, and political leanings. No one cares that you like Simon and Garfunkel or that you enjoy cooking. Normal people don't look for soulmates online, and the weirdos that do are best kept uninformed.
 
Libertarian, well, it is tempting, but I don't even know what hemp is.

And really, I do appreciate that bloggers are sort of learning on the job (as I am, obviously). I haven't given up on them (us?), it's just that I'm slightly frustrated, mostly because there are SO MANY BLOGS and it's nearly impossible to find the good ones.

Plus, I've just realized I've lost all sense of when to use the apostrophe in "it's". I've become an apostrophe abuser. Next thing you know I'll be using it to denote plural's.

And third (to slavishly follow your paragraphs in response) I don't care for Simon and Garfunkel and I find cooking tedious. Part of my reticence is general distrust of Internet people in general. I think it's those commercials where people talk in the voices of other people who've stolen their credit card numbers. It freaks me out.
 
It's less about a search for good blogs as it is a search for amusing blogs. I personally find the insane and the extremely stupid to be very funny, hence my frequent visits to gurl.com. In fact, my desire to be better than everyone has led to me read nothing but dumb people's blogs, and the blogs of my friends, though the latter is usually more out of courtesy than anything else. In fact, I don't think I can even think of a good blog off the topic of my head that isn't political (unfortunately, the stupid and insane don't do much for me in that category). I suppose Zulkey.com is kind of funny, but Claire Zulkey went to a better school than me, so I hate her (see, context AND perspective). Also, you might search blogwise.com by keyword, although it usually happens that anyone who lists himself as "witty" or "insightful" is usually...not. Maybe look under "academia." They might be pretentious, but at least they're usually smart.
 
And, by the way, Simon and Garfunkel rock (um, slowly and softly), so don't be dissin' mah homiez. My point was just that I personally never find random people's interests very compelling, even if they coincide with mine. There are lots of people out there who play tennis and read books sometimes. I don't feel special if I happen upon another one. Unless you saw the beaks off tropical birds or something exotic like that, it's probably not worth mentioning.
 
If you don't stop being helpful, you're going to give bloggers a bad name. Quick, say something shallow and self-involved!

The next thing I'm going to do is Google "saw beaks off tropical birds". I bet you I find at least one freaky fetish site. One related to the topic I mean.
 
Er... absolutely concur, Mr.... um... Monkey. They're the bee's knees. What better way to injure your opponent in the absence of a firearm, I say.

Thanks for reading.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger