Tuesday, August 17, 2004
 
Face/Off
First of all, a shout out to all my homiez out there in Blogland. Special Mention to Diana, first person ever to link this blog on her own.

But now, thanks to her, the boulder has started rolling down hill and apparently there is no stopping it. The crushing, rocky goodness that is the Bucket has started the Landslide of Pops that is sure to overwhelm the Internet as a whole. This is in direct contradiction to my stated goal when I started this thing to have no one else read it, ever. But times change and we must adapt. If we don't, we're Pat Buchanan.

So the Bucket has been acknowledged by a tiny handful of sites thus far, but I appreciate the support.

Although I must say, out of everyone involved, I still appreciate myself the most. I really should give myself more credit now and then.

In an exercise combining a) basic good manners and b) my startling ability to assimilate information with both speed and accuracy leading to almost instant mastery, I have reciprocated links to other blogs, along with a few others that I read regularly. They can be found over there to your right under Lives More Interesting Than My Own. Yes, before yesterday I'd never actually written any HTML, but now looking at that short list of properly formatted links, I must say I'm quite impressed with myself.

I know what you're thinking, "Pops, retarded people can write HTML, that's the whole point", and yes, I will concede that's true. And then you're thinking "Wow, five whole links, what, did that take you all of thirty seconds?" to which I must respond, No, I will have you know it took me the better part of two hours to get that all done.

I suddenly feel less good about myself. No, you know what, you go to hell. You can't come in here and rain on my parade. I learned something. Yes, it was something I should have learned a long time ago, something they teach to second graders... OK, white second graders in posh suburban schools with more money than they know what to do with but still second graders...

Man I just keep feeling worse and worse.

What was I talking about?

Oh yes, I was getting to how this blog is changing slightly. So there are those links, plus I put links in my little About Me blurb that take you to the homepages of the universities I went to (again, I did it all by myself... shut up).

And unrelated, the Blogger people have changed the little bar at the top of all our Blogger screens. There are some buttons up there that most likely do some wonderfully handy things. I'm almost sure of it.

So the face of the Bucket is changing, which would be a better metaphor if buckets actually had faces. You know, I wrote the title of this post before anything else and now I'm not happy with it. "Face/Off", it's just a movie title, and not even a very good movie at that because it has John Travolta in it, Worst Successful Actor Ever. And no, I don't count Madonna because she made all her money being the Worst Successful Singer Ever. It's not that I don't like any of her songs, I just happen to know she can't actually sing.

Sorry, lost again. Where was I?

Oh yeah. Some things are different. Try not to be put off.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 8.8


Pops


PS: And on a happier note, one more reason why California is better than your state.

PPS: I spared you the graphic, troubling story of this morning's horrifying Potty Training Reversal. So when you speak of me, speak well.

Comments:
Two hours? Oh man. My brother and I are laughing hysterically at you. Sorry.
 
Pops,

After stumbling around the internet I found this interesting website. =) Pops you will just never act your age will you. Oh well, good luck with the kids.

The one without a nickname,
Elliot
 
I didn't say two hours, I said the better part of two hours, which is obviously still less than two hours.

Not-So-Anonymous-Elliot: Nicknames are easy. I know there was that episode of Seinfeld where they say you can't give yourself a nickname, but that was mostly pre-Internet. I dub you "Manly".
 
I can train you in the fine art of Rudimentary Remedial HTML if you like. You can cut and paste right out of mine. It's probably not anywhere near what it should be, but dammit it works.
 
Grr, fine, now I grudgingly have to link you back. Damn laws of etiquette!
 
No no, I do not give with the expectation of return. That is the kind of beatific near-perfect human I am.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger