Friday, August 06, 2004
 
It's (Un)Official
Wow, good news all around. It looks like non-Illinois resident Alan Keyes will accept the invitation of the dazzling, well-organized Illinois Republican Party to run against Barack Obama for the US Senate.

And I think: With such a combination of the Illinois GOP's support and low-key, highly relatable, down-to-earth Alan Keyes style, this looks like a lock. What could possibly go wrong?

But Pops, you are asking, why do you even care? You're not from Illinois.

This is true, and well spotted by you, Hypothetical Reader. But out here in California, after the trauma of the gubernatorial recall last year all we have to look forward to is a stale, tired Senate race between an incumbent sure to win in Barbara Boxer vs. a cookie-cutter California Republican by the name of Bill Jones.

White guy, lots of money, hates criminals, etc. That's really all you need to be a GOP candidate in this state. The real emphasis (besides the white and lots of money) is on the hates criminals. For most people, this is simply a given. Me personally, I would characterize myself as against crime and prefer not to associate with criminals, especially when they are in the act of committing a crime.

But if you're a California Republican, this must be the core of your existence. You must hate criminals and not be afraid to say it. The same way Clinton-era Democrats used to talk about how much they liked clean water. It seems so obvious, but if you say it enough times, it sounds so deadly serious, as though it were just possible that your opponent was pro-criminal or anti-drinking water.

A second absolute necessity for California Republicans (or fourth if you're still counting white male and wealthy... FIFTH, that makes this the fifth then) is that you must describe yourself as a rancher . Bill Jones does this twice in his autobiography page of his website. We can all blame this on Reagan. The Old Gipper on his stupid horse wearing his stupid cowboy hat, fixing stupid fences and clearing stupid brush. It's got fuck-all to do with governance, but it has become a prerequisite image. That's where I give Gov. Arnie credit as his homes are usually described as "compounds" in the Kennedy fashion.

But the beauty of California politics is that the old tired labels generally don't apply. If Bill Jones wants to criticize Boxer's record as an unabashed liberal, he's welcome to, but it won't matter. Between the nearly unassailable incumbency rates for Senators and Congressmen... Congresspersons... Congresspeople... and the fact that except for Arnie and his Special Circumstances, there are no Republicans in statewide office in this state, it's all pretty much academic. Kerry is up by double digits here.

Cakewalk. Snooze.

So that's why Alan Keyes is interesting to me. Not only is a man of such moral rectitude and forthright religious certitude completely contradicting the statements he made vs. carpetbagging with regard to Hillary (see sites like Demagogue if you want to be bothered with "quotes" and "evidence"), but he's exactly what this country needs right now: a good old fashioned heap o' crazy.

He's a Catholic. I'm a Catholic. He's Harvard educated and a former ambassador. I am not and not again. In many ways Alan Keyes is a much better human being than I am. But for all his eloquence and rhetorical bluster, he's a Culture War candidate, which severely limits his appeal. I base this on his record in the presidential primaries four years ago when he spent all his time pointing out the inconsistencies in the positions taken by his opponents on social issues, followed by a lot of frothy-mouthed, sanctimonious self-beatification.

Run Alan, Run! It will give me something to watch for the next three months. You know, other than that whole president thing.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 5.6


Pops

Comments:
Question Pops. How did you find my website? I ask because for some reason, I seem to attract the older, conservative crowd. And as a current resident in Illinois, I find it very odd you speak of Alan Keyes, despite your explanation in your entry. That's about all I'll say because I've tried to talk politics before and was shot down. But Obama better win is all I have to say.
 
Oh yeah, and if you want some ideas as to what to do with your History MA, look at this guys site. He's a friend of mine with the same degree, I think.
www.thestateimin.blogspot.com
 
Ok, another comment, sorry. You have decent taste in music. You earn my respect.
 
Hey Diana, thanks for reading this mess.

The Illinois Senate race has become a national story for alot of reasons, so that's why I talk about it. It's interesting to me.

And if you want to talk about politics there are a thousand places to do it without fear of getting shouted down. Here for example, although I tend to take things less than seriously (much rather make a joke than a point) and the audience is somewhat... er... limited.

And I agree, I do have fantastic taste in music.

Oh, and I found your blog at random. The title caught my eye.
 
i am currently living in illinois also but have spent alot of time out in california. it amazes me to no avail that the illinois race gets much more attention out on the west coast than it does in Ilinois itself. I do sincerely hope Obama does win, I can't stand Alan Keyes and his self promoting bullshit. Love the blog Pops!
 
Thanks Serge.

Apparently I am the King of Illinois. Nearly my entire readership hails from there except MPH who is from neighboring Indiana. Curious.

But don't get the wrong idea, it's not like the Illinois Senate thing is front-page news out here. It's just something dorks like me like to follow.
 
No no, Perot was a testy little dictator fixated entirely on the economy. Keyes is pure Culture War in a box. If Obama engages him, it'll be fireworks, but Obama will still win. If Obama ignores him, it will be boring, but Obama will still win.

Mostly I can't imagine the people of Illinois falling for this. People like to compare it to Hillary in NY, but really it's more like Minnesota after Paul Wellstone died and the Dems tried to sneak Walter Mondale in just before the buzzer. But at least Mondale was from that state and instead of dying in a plane crash, Ryan self-destructed.

I take it back, it's nothing like Minnesota.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger