Saturday, August 14, 2004
 
Saturday Special
I usually don't post on Saturdays, but I had a free second and I thought I'd throw something up. Here. Not throw up as in "vomit", but you know, to toss something off...

OK, I'll just write.

I watched part of the Opening Ceremonies at the Olympics last night. I didn't watch all of it because, well, the ADD just wouldn' t allow it.

I've come to the decision that Greece, while once being the cradle of all advanced though in the world, has become a backward country. And I mean that literally, based on the March of Nations entrances in "alphabetical" order. Only it was in Greek alphabetical order, so the USA (for example) was in the first third of the parade. The Bs were next to the Vs, the Ks, Cs and Ss were all screwy, and don't even get me started on the Ts. No, take that back, the Ts were fine. But the rest...

Come on Greece, get with the program. You and your "alphabet" are so 400 BC. Live in the now. Adopt a flashy new alphabet, like English or Swedish or American even. You're proud of your traditions, we understand that. But if you don't update that mess, people are going to stop respecting you. Like Russia and that crazy Cyrillic. Nobody can read that crap.

Also, an Iranian judoka (that's fancy martial arts talk for someone who practices Judo... yes, I am a total dork) quit the Olympics ("All on his own, we swear!" -the Iranian Government) because he drew an Israeli in his first round of competition.

They say it's because Iran does not recognize Israel and so, by logical extension, cannot recognize athletes reperesenting that nation. If they bump into Israeli athletes in the Olympic Village, Iranians are instructed to shout "You Are An Italian!" and run away.

The unofficial reason, I think, is that this Iranian was afraid of getting his ass kicked on global television by a Jew. How could he ever live that down back home? They have people lining up to blow themselves back to God so long as they take a few Jews with them and this guy might not even be able to beat one--just one!-- two out of three falls (I know nothing about Judo).

So kudos Iranian guy whose name I will not bother to learn. You've sent an Israeli one step closer to international glory by giving him a first round walkover. Excellent work. God thanks you.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 2.8


Pops

|

Powered by Blogger