Monday, September 13, 2004
 
Emergency! Emergency!
Congratulate me. I got my first middle-of-the-day phone call from my kid's school this morning.

The story is somewhat confusing (as told by a five year old), but somehow he managed to fall down face first onto one of the steps leading up to a slide on the playground. He came out of it with a couple of nice tooth-shaped gashes in his lower lip and some really disgusting looking bruises on his upper gums, right above his two front teeth.

I knew something was up right away. Usually when they start the phone conversation "Everything is fine..." it never is.

So anyway, I throw Sprog 2 and Sprog 3 into the macho minivan and make the 15 minute trek down there. They have no nurse at this school, so it's up to me to determine whether or not to take him out of school for further care. I rely on my extensiver medical training and pull him from their care lest something really tragic should befall him.

Right across the street there is the ironically named "Urgent Care" clinic where in these days of managed care you're supposed to go instead of the ER. I took one step inside and another step in the opposite direction. I could tell by the crowd it was at least two hours.

So I made the 20 minute drive to the other "Urgent Care" over by our old house further east into Riverside. Me and the three kids all under six years old, one of them with holes in his face and the other two dangerously approaching lunch/nap time. I ask how long. "Thirty or forty minutes, but I don't think it should be longer than that."

An hour and a half later me and the three crying kids are storming out, unseen by anyone with any medical training. Not only were they not urgent, but there was also no care forthcoming. In other circumstances, oh how I would have laughed.

The only thing I managed to accomplish in that time was to explain to the injured party what stitches were. Cue emotional collapse and exeunt.

Now Mrs. Pops is all flustered and is making the long trip home from Newport Beach. We have an appointment for the dentist at 4 pm and then we're going to try "Urgent Care" again. We have to. His regular pediatrician "doesn't do lacerations", the lazy fucker. I swear to God you need a tumor large enough to not only speak, but make its own appointments before they'll grant you access to their precious, precious perfunctory care.

I would very much like to beat somebody, but only my kids are home right now and I don't need to cause any more treatment-requiring damage at this point, so I guess I'll do the healthy thing and swallow my rage. But I really wanna kick something really bad.

Oh! The dog just woke up. I gotta go.


Pops

Comments:
Dude, you've got a dog? Do tell!
 
Seriously, no nurse at the school? I don't have any chitlins of my own (thankfully)yet, but it seems as though they should have some sort of medical professional on the premisis.
 
Sunny: Well, she's part black lab, part dalmatian. She's really fast, but not very smart, so you can corner her and plant a really good one right in her ribs if you plan it just right. Plus she makes a really satisfying yelp if you catch her just right.

B: No, it's a Catholic school so you know, with all those private-school funds coming in there's no way they could afford a part time medical professional. Actually now that I think about it, no nurse is really more Christian Scientist than Catholic. I should ask some questions.
 
I went to catholic school for my first 8 years, and we didn't have a nurse, either.

By the way, if your kids turn out just like me, you know who to blame. Yourself, for not consulting me on whether catholic school is good or evil.
 
Hey, the same thing happened to me! Except in my case, a huge beefy girl whose name was even beefy-sounding (Beeta) shoved me down on the blacktop at recess in second grade. Don't worry, after his fat lip becomes the laughing stock of the class for a couple days, he'll forget all about it. The only reason I didn't was because while I was laying on the ground encircled by gaping onlookers, bawling and watching blood gush out of my mouth, I developed a very appropriate murderous hatred of said beefy girl and spent the rest of grade school nursing my grudge.

But I think I was avenged when she was rejected from state school, but moved down to Champaign-Urbana anyway to live in university housing, pay out-of-state fees because she wasn't a student, and attend their local community college. And she's still huge and beefy.
 
Sunny: My mom and all 11 of her siblings went to Catholic school, so I know what I'm getting into. It's not all that "character development" crap that we're after. We just want him to overachieve academically so he can get into a college we can't afford to send him to. It's our dream.

Rita: Sadly for us, my son keeps insisting he did it himself. If only there were beefy children for him to hate and spare our family the shame.
 
See, whenever I went to urgent I was always top priority because I could never breathe. Breathing is more important than your kid's lip.
 
Trust me, no one in there was having any trouble breathing. The staff there are just useless.
 
Can you imagine working in a place like that? Everyone angry and frantic, and absolutely convinced that their problem is the end of the world, much more so than that guy over there with the timber rattler hanging off his neck?

Not saying anything to you, Pops, just merely suggesting that the reason they don't run around like their little poultry heads are cut off is because they've had to realize, over the course of time spent trying to remain sane at their job, that no matter how fast they run, people are still going to have skinned knees.

Totally sucks having to wait. At my job, we give priority to the screaming people, then the obnoxious children-toters, then in order of appearance.
 
Look, my mom's an RN, so I've been in dozens of medical facilities behind the scenes and I have a pretty good idea how this stuff works.

The main problem is not the ability of the people working there, it's the fact that they have one doctor to serve the entire clinic and one nurse doing triage out front. It's horrendously, comically understaffed to the point where no one seems to be able to do anything productive.
 
Understood. Wasn't trying to step on any toes, bud. Sorry if it came out that way. Bit defensive, as I get yelled at a lot. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger