Saturday, October 23, 2004
 
The Great Potential For Disaster
Important note for all who derive some kind of pleasure from reading this blog.

It occurs to me that should my wife find herself dis-employed on Monday, this blog may be going on forced hiatus.

Her company pays for our DSL setup and has done for a great long time. There's no telling when they would cancel the service, so I'm posting this now just in case Pops ceases to be in the next few days and I'm stuck being my regular old real-life self for a while.

Needless to say getting a new service in order for me to further my exploits here is not going to be Priority One should the worst-case-scenario come to pass.

Again, we aren't counting on Mrs. Pops getting laid off, but you never know. Consider yourselves informed.


Pops

Comments:
We're taking it as it comes, SJ. We've been on this rollercoaster many many times in her 8 years with this company in its various forms (can't say the name for various financial and legal reasons), but she's survived every round of cutbacks so far. So we're semi-hopeful.

By the way, in case you aren't up on the newest corporate euphemisms, it's not "lay-offs" or "downsizing" anymore, now it's a "RIF" (Reduction In Force). And yet whatever the label, the people getting shown the door always seem to piece together the actual meaning...
 
Thanks for the warning, Pops. Consider me entertained. I hope there is no hiatus. It's kind of the same way at my job, as of now. I know how much it sucks to wonder what might happen, but I can't really imagine that being a concern and having a family. I hope it all works out.
 
Maybe you should do the equivalent of stocking up on canned foods before a hurricane (or two, or ten, if you live in Florida) and post in bulk to tide your readership over until Mrs. Pops finds a new job/DSL provider. You could even temporarily suspend your narcissism meter and allow your posts to reach previously unheard of highs so that readers will be less inclined to wade through them, thereby prolonging their newness.

Or, you could put things into perspective and realize that there are millions of people out there who still have 56K connections (like me, when I'm not in school) and that you've been spoiled all this time. Think of the Internet-deprived children in China!

--Rita
 
Halliburton. Mrs. Pops works for Halliburton. That's why all the secrecy....
 
Rita: "...allow your posts to reach previously unheard of highs so that readers will be less inclined to wade through them, thereby prolonging their newness."

The argument can be made that I've been doing that since I started.

And it's not a question of finding a new provider, broadband or otherwise, it's about laying out funds to pay for it if we had Zero jobs between the two of us.

SJ: Are you kidding? If she worked for Halliburton we'd be swimming in stolen government cash and bathing the children in barrels of Iraqi sweet crude oil.

No, the secrecy is me not knowing enough about disclosure laws for public-owned and traded companies. I'm erring on the side of caution. And complete ignorance.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger