Thursday, October 21, 2004
 
Sing It If You Know It
I'm absolutley fascinated by the idea of artists selling out. It's a morbid fascination, I admit. Something about dropping the vail of "integrity" (a dubious idea anyway, in some media more than others) as they partner up with corporations to sell Pepsi or hamburgers or computer operating systems or something.

So it was with great enthusiasm that I greeted my first viewing of the new Apple iPod commercial featuring Irish world-saving crusader band U2. So that's what Bono is doing when he's not lobbying the UN to forgive third-world debt; he's shilling for multi-billion dollar global corporations.

Don't get the wrong idea from this post, I actually like U2. Not as much as Mrs. Pops, but as megalomaniacal/sanctimonious Irish people go, they're all right. About 3 years ago we drove through a horrendous rainstorm to see them live at the Staples Center in downtown LA (about 40 miles northwest of here). Local novelty act No Doubt opened for them that night. It was such a good show it almost justified the $20 parking fee.

Anyway, the Apple iPod spot features U2's new song "Vertigo". It starts with four words in Spanish.

Uno... dos... tres... catorce!

Now, I don't speak Spanish, but living in California, I am armed with a cobbled-together Cali pidgin Spanglish we all get by on. I can ask where the library is on any street corner from here to Buenos Aires. My competencies established, I will translate the U2 line:

One... two... three... fourteen!

I'll say that again.

One... two... three... fourteen.

Fourteen? Really?

I'm sure there's some arcane, inside-hipster reason for jumping 4 through 13, but for the life of me I will never know what it is.

For the edification of my Southerners, Midwesterners and For'ners reading this who may not know, the Spanish word for "four" is chupacabras. Tell your friends you learned something today.

About that song "Vertigo", though, I have a question: why does it sound exactly like Madonna's "Ray of Light"? And why is there a U2 song--any U2 song--that is inferior to a Madonna song? Any Madonna song, not just the one it rips off?

I'm not much of a Madonna fan. Most of her songs are stupid and tuneless, bland music over cheerless lyrics meant primarily to titillate or shock (is "Like A Virgin" the worst song ever? It just might be). She did put out one pretty good album though, the best song of which U2 has chosen to steal. So at least they exercised some discernment when plagiarizing.

When we saw U2 live that one time, it occured to me that all their songs start exactly the same way. "The Edge" (what's wrong with the name Dave Evans, I ask you) breaks out with that modulating electric guitar jangle. As you hear the songs played in random order from all across the band's body of work, you find yourself waiting for a chorus before you can discern "I Will Follow" from "New Years Day".

Other bands where all their songs sound the same: Social Distorition, The Cult, INXS. Sometimes I can listen to an entire INXS song and still not be sure which one I just heard. I don't know if that has anything to do with why their lead singer killed himself, but you have to wonder.

And for the record (har har), the actual Worst Song Ever is "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins. I had to Google the lyrics to get the title and now that I know it's something so faux-poetically pretentious, I hate it even more. Billy Corgan has the most disgusting voice ever.

It's even worse than that horrid "proud to be an American" song from the first Gulf War. The whole soundtrack from that war sucked ass. Now Vietnam, that was a war well served by its music.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 5.6


Pops

Comments:
What the hell, there was a comment from Steph in there that I was responding to. And I noticed on SJ's blog, there seemed to be a comment missing from one of her posts too.

I am NOT hallucinating. If I were I'd totally tell you. It's something I've always wanted to do.

Sometimes Blogger is stupid. But it is always, always free, so I'm not going to complain a whole lot.
 
I know Pops, blogger is going through the change. I saw a comment posted to my blog but never got an email to let me know about it. Just happened on it by chance.

I'm with you about U2. How hilarious that they did an entire world tour professing to 'make fun' of the mass marketing of everything (the Zooropa tour, if I'm not mistaken) and now to see them on a frigging IPod commercial. Cracks me up.

I used to be flat out pissed about it when someone 'sold out.' I must have bitched and moaned for months when Michael Jackson sold a Beatles song to someone back in the early 90s. But advertisers know we will be so inundated with the rehashing of old tunes, we will forget our righteous idignation. We can't keep up the indignation, there are too many of them.

One of my favorite songs (and the song which I want played at my non-secular funeral) 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' by the Clash is now on a car commercial. sigh.

Next we'll hear the very icons of anti-establishment The Sex Pistols, I'm sure.
 
Um, where have you been, Mr. Pops? She prefers to be referred to as Esther now.

More fascinating than artists selling out is teh relationship between artists going insane and the legitimate cultural trends they start as a result, premised on what would otherwise be seen as good reason to lock someone in a padded room.
 
Um, where have you been, Mr. Pops? She prefers to be referred to as Esther now.

More fascinating than artists selling out is teh relationship between artists going insane and the legitimate cultural trends they start as a result, premised on what would otherwise be seen as good reason to lock someone in a padded room.

--Rita
 
Being the music geek I am, I had to look this up. This new album will be number 14 for U2. Are you telling me that "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" is worse than "Ebony and Ivory" or the Christina Aguilera standard "Dirrty"?

Ok, maybe so.
 
Ritanonymous: OK, we're going to need an example. You mean like Jackson Pollack spilling paint on some canvas and calling it a "movement"? Or something more shallow and recent?

B-Money: Yeah, I'm saying exactly that. "The world is a vampire". Need I say more? Oh, except No it fucking isn't a vampire Corgan you retard. Jesus, I hate Billy Corgan. And "despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage". What kind of a song about rage comes out and says "I have rage"? For all his pretentious preening (on par with that moron from Creed) he's an artless fuck. Oh and he can't sing.
 
Nope, sorry Pops, but you missed the flight on this one, as well. 'Chupacabra' is actually my pet name for Madonna after she skewered the Don McLean classic 'American Pie.' And maybe, just maybe, the reason he jumped from 3 to 14 is he was just so damn entranced by The Edge and his hot, repressed anger and angst that he forgot what the hell he was supposed to be doing.
 
Or, maybe just maybe the numbers 4-13 are the pieces of whatever-the-hell-component it takes to watch the stupid commercial that was TAKEN from my system, so I couldn't watch it. I smell a conspiracy, people, and I'm pretty sure it involves the remaining members of INXS doing unseemly things to Marvin Gaye's corpse.
 
Stop mocking my inability to post correctly! It's a long and difficult road to learning to click "Post as: Rita" on the little blue bar under the text box.

Anyway, example:
Madonna/Esther decides to become a Jewish mystic = New Age Kabbalism takes off in select parts of California and New York.
Your grandmother decides to become a Jewish mystic = one-way ticket to insane asylum.
 
MPH: Wait, he fucked Marvin Gaye's skull or he used his skull to fuck Marvin Gaye's remains? Either way, it's quite a picture.

HFB: If any member of INXS did anything with Marvin Gaye, it would have to be an improvement.

Rita: I will give you a pass on not being able to operate a computer mouse since you gave me a pass on being a stone-headed moron and completely missing the obvious point you were making in your comment.

It's just Madonna/Esther doing her tour of the world. Remember she did the India thing a few years ago, now it's Kabbala. Next she'll probably be dressing as a sherpa and extolling the virtues of drinking mare's milk mixed with just a little bit of mare's blood and change her name to Chingachgook.
 
And we'll all just keep nodding along to the music because being a celebrity gives you a free pass on having to maintain your mental health.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger