Friday, November 05, 2004
 
Blog Drift
For lots of blogs, the events of this past Tuesday have become their sole reason for being. Partisanship, a deep passion for misreprenting the positions of the other side and maybe just the tiniest bit of unrequited and unquenchable sexual hunger for CNN's Jeff Greenfield were the fuel that drove many a blog over the past 6, 12, 18 months.

And now that the electoral climax has come and gone, it's reasonable to suppose the alot of the blogging impetus has faded and all many political bloggers will want to do is roll over and get some sleep before the glow fades and the Republican Party decides they want to cuddle.

Faced with the prospect of the blogosphere going quiet, some blogs drying up and blowing away altogether, I can't help feeling anything but... hopeful. Thank God, I say. Leave blogging to people who know what they're doing so we can get back to the serious business of cataloguing what we eat for breakfast, the local weather, the strange things our dogs eat and then subsequently vomit up and the boogers of our children (what up, SJ!).

Some order is returning to the universe of the terminally inward. It's high time we stopped thinking and worrying about the thoughts and proclivities of others and again focus exclusively, obsessively on ourselves. That's what we all got into this blogging business for in the first place, isn't it?

I know I did. Well, that and the groupies.

The shift from electioneering to personal trivia doesn't have to be traumatic, either. It can be subtle and slowly. After all, why quit cold turkey when there's lots of perfectly good methadone available?

For instance, take me. As I wallowed in the sewer-iffic depths of disappointment and self-pity following the election, where others turned to Johnny Walker Red or dusted off their old hash pipes, I threw myself with some gusto toward the comfort food.

Lots of really fantastic stuff like Frosted Flakes with banana slices, carne asada tacos with tomato, onion and cilantro, sloppy joes, McDonald's fries... lots of other stuff.

Most helpful has been the ready availability of my kids' Halloween candy. I'll put away 6, 7, 8 pieces at a sitting, a couple of sittings per day. It's a very horse-and-feedbag type of experience. I worry somewhat about setting an example for my kids as they watch Daddy lick the inside of a used Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrapper, but I comfort myself knowing that when I'm into it, there's no way in hell the little grubbers are going to touch my candy bag and they are therefore protected from the perils of gluttony.

As my martial arts class has been in limbo for the last month (it starts again Monday), the combination of lots of quality Ass Sitting time with my new hobby of chewing and swallowing anything and everything within arm's reach, Pops is starting to get a little paunchy. By "a little paunchy" I mean I'm sitting here typing this in my wife's maternity clothes. Not the girly stuff, but just a plain black cotton/lycra blend top and elasti-pants (with stretchy gut-panel!) to comfortably accomodate my improving girth. Not really sure why she complained about wearing it when she was pregnant. It's very forgiving and the black is slimming.

If I were still being civic minded, I would worry more about this. It seems that great big fat Americans are costing airlines millions in extra fuel expenditures. It turns out we're so grotesquely obese as a people, we're actually weighing down the airplanes we fly on and driving up costs.

But forced to choose between making the world a better place or eating seven snack-sized Snickers bars because the mood has moved me to do so, I choose the latter. Because I am an American, the (and I mean this in terms of literal mass) greatest people in the world.

See, it started election-related, but it ended up being all about me. If I can do it, you can do it too. Probably not as well, but don't beat yourself up about that. I'm special.

Wow, it's like riding a bike.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 9.9


Pops

Comments:
OMG. I have done my best to keep my blog as apolitical and as self-absorbed as possible, yet you STILL won't link to me. I don't know what to think. Wait, I know. To keep with the whole self-absorbed motif I've established, I can only logically conclude, that you are either AFRAID to link to me, because the sheer power of my words will somehow make your blog implode upon itself, or you are THREATENED by my power, and ... oh, to hell with it.

(Heavy sigh.)

Damn, you look goooood in those pants.

NOW, will you give me a shout out?
 
1) I do fear your words.

2) There is a link to you over on the right-hand sidebar. Can't that be enough?

3) I do look good in these pants.
 
Black maternity pants really ARE slimming. er..so I've heard.
 
You know, women have been appropriating clothing from men for decades, nay since time immemorial! It's about time the men took a little back. Why stop at the pants? Dresses are infinitely more comfortable. Give it a try, won't you? *waiting with baited breath on more blogposts about cross-dressing*
 
Ya know, I was just about to say the same thing. A mumu, a la Marlon Brando in his unfortunate Whale in a Blue Dress stage, would be just smashing!
 
The following message is on behalf of the small UofC Pops Bucket Fanclub, which grew out of a number of my readers asking, "Who the hell is that guy who posts ALL THE TIME on your blog, Rita?"

Your kids are way funnier than your politics. While we sit around trying to rack our brains for memories of dumb things we did when we were younger, like eat poop, you have several poop-eating machines right in front of you all the time. Your descriptions are not even colored by the fact that these events took place a long time ago, back when you had a lifeview that included seeing personal poop consumption as a good idea. Therefore, the UofC Pops Fanclub votes to demand more posts making fun of your children to fill the political void.
 
And let's keep the talk of boogers always on deck, shall we? The mere mention of boogers here will skyrocket your Google searches, even more than naked, right wing C-words. I get 10-12 hits each day from a booger search. It's one of the things that keeps this country great, ain't it?
 
My immense popularity is sometimes such a burden. A welcome one, but a burden nonetheless. As my blog groans under the weight of your outpouring of heartfelt comments, let me try to dignify each one with a response:

B: When you take them off, sadly, you are no slimmer.

Steph: My wife has some old bridesmaid's dresses that I think I would look smashing in. Did I say "smashing"? I meant "smashed", as in I'd have to be quite drunk to try it.

MPH: First HFB complains, now you. I can't keep the whole blogosphere afloat by myself! I'm only one man!

HFB: That's my next move. I'm going full-on Mrs. Roper. Until I lose the weight again, then it's back to Mr. Furley. (please tell me you get the reference)

Rita: Sorry to confuse your colleagues. Let them know that since I stay home all day, I have large, unpopulated blocks of time that need filling. I call that my "red state" time: vast, unmoving, windswept, empty. I try to fill it by reading blogs and laughing at the witty, witty things I have to say when I post comments. Sadly for you, you find yourself on the roll. If you're on the roll, you get bothered.

Doubly sad for you, as my token Republican reader, you get extra attention as a source of wordy, droning, repetitive argument.

And no poop eating stories, but I do have several hand-to-poop contact stories that will amuse and repulse you all at the same time.

SJ: I also plan to put in references to homemade bongs, DIY explosive devices, Star Wars and Brad Pitt's dick. I like a nice, eclectic readership.

Thanks for reading, people.
 
Pops-Sadly, yes I do get the reference. Even sadder still, now I have a mental image of you (my mental composite of you) going full on Mrs. Roper. Nobody should be put through that. NOBODY.
 
MPH: Please don't misunderstand, I would never confuse you with being content.

HFB: Since I know me and I know what I look like, I'm actually more horrified by the mental image of me as Mr. Furley.
 
I think we're going for a record on how long your freakin' comment section can stretch. My comment didn't go quite as planned. It shoulda read more like this: I'm more disturbed by the image of you (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) going full on Mrs. Roper (Nudge, nudge, say no more!)
 
I think we'll need to push this just a leetle farther to get the record for most comments on one post. I have faith, though.

I guess if I dressed like Mrs. Roper, no one could tell my gender anyway under that tent-sized fabric.
 
And this one puts us at 15, ladies and gentlemen. And also further illustrates that I need to get a job.
 
No, you've miscounted. It's obviously 16.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger