Monday, November 29, 2004
 
The Dustbin Of History
After several years and a great deal of work, I finally have a momentous anouncement to make concerning my career as a Failed Writer:

I've now officially given up on my in-progress manuscript.

Yes, it was only a matter of time really. When you're 60,000 words into something and you're still introducing main characters, you have a problem. Not ever getting around to (or even deciding on) the scope and course of the central plot in all that time is also somewhat problematic.

Plus, when it's been more than 18 months since you've done any serious work on it, I'd say the writing is on the wall. It's on the wall, it's in the car, it's under your chair, anywhere but on the page really.

The manuscript is a mess, but it wasn't all horrible. There were a few decent paragraphs in there, suffocated under great fetid blocks of unnecessary descriptive verbiage and blustering, context-less exposition.

Whenever you meet some hack writing teacher, they will always tell you to power through the first draft and that real writing is re-writing. Yes, I saw Finding Forrester too.

But for obsessive-compulsives, this is a virtual impossibility. Mix that with a little ADD and you've got someone who needs to re-read everything just to remember where he left off, but then can't leave what he wrote alone. So for every one productive writing session, I have three nitpicking, fine-tooth-combing, useless revision-sessions of work I will probably completely revise later anyway. It is vitally important to get your commas and verb tenses all correct before you delete something wholesale. It's just good manners.

The other problem is that--like everyone else whose first grown-up read was a Tolkien book--I was trying to write fantasy-style fiction. It seems easy because you get to invent the cultures, the history, the settings and the context. Yeah, turns out it's a festering pain in the ass, the whole thing. You know what the hardest part is? You have to invent the cultures, the history, the settings and the context!

So my convoluted fable about misogyny and religion, my Life of Brian meets Norma Rae girl-power anti-religious screed will never see the light of day. At least not until I become a better writer and I'm able to write fantasy elements that aren't completely cheesy. Really, it's impossibe to pull off unless you take it completely seriously (which I'm sorry, I can't) or you're Terry Pratchett, which I am obviously not. He's English, for starters. And he wears hats.

Fantasy is out then. The other thing hack writing teachers tell you is "write what you know." I've decided, then, that the next thing I write is going to be a real-life account of this guy. He's got brown-ish hair, right. And he's sitting in this black leather chair. And he's typing something on his keyboard. The words appear on his Samsung SyncMaster 712n flat panel LCD screen. And he's got half a Coke sitting next to his monitor. And his desk is kind of brownish laminated pressboard. And he's got... um... papers and stuff all over his desk. And... uh...

Crap. "What I know" is boring as hell. How do you people read this stuff?

All of my failures now I can blame on my blog instead of my kids. It's a miracle invention whereby I can procrastinate and write at the same time.

So I'm out of the Not-Writing-Novels business for the moment and I can go back to my first love, Not Writing Short Stories. But fear not, adoring public, soon I'm sure I will have a new long-term project to ignore.

Look for it on bookshelves that exist only inside of my head.



This post on the Narcissus Scale: 10.0 (an earth-shaker)


Pops

Comments:
Not that I think you need to be judged, I just wanted to show off the fact that I can link things correctly. (And I love saying "Fiction Bitch")
 
you certainly have fine taste in music.
 
Shouldn't that be "Fiction, bitch!"? Ah, no matter--I'm sorry to hear you're giving up the ghost, but I'm taking your word that it was a pile o' crap anyway and the world won't miss it (except perhaps, FB). You're obviously an intelligent and competent writer; I think someday it will happen. Can't you find some kind of a happy medium between creating a whole world from scratch and writing about the most horrifically mundane details of your life? One area that I'd like to know more about: How does it feel to be a Mr. Mom in the new millennium? Is it a truly more enlightened world today than it was in 1983-or-whatever when that movie came out? Anyhoo, I'm glad you'll at least keep on blogging :^P
 
Well, hell. I was looking forward to sharing some of your PUBLISHED work with my English class.
 
The outpouring of interest in my inability to write is... well, it's a little frightening. Who knew my readership were all playa haytas.

One by one...

SJ: Lovely. Thanks for the expertly-done link. Flawless. And yes, I need to be judged. I just don't get enough personal humiliation from the rejection letters I get from people who might actually PUBLISH something. Besides, it looks like that site has gone sleepy-time.

sexylovepits: Great name. And who am I to argue with the sentiment? I most certainly do have great taste in music. I also have great taste in taste. Everything I eat is amplified by my superhuman tasting ability. It's freaky.

Steph: You always write sincere and helpful things unlike the snarky ungrateful bastards who usually post here. One thing, though: THE TERM "MR. MOM" IS ABSOLUTELY DISALLOWED. Thanks.

MPH: If I bought a helper monkey, what would I do with the 14 Guatemalans I have chained up in my attic?

Alison: Thus far your independent effort is the most famousest I've ever been. But don't worry, I'm not giving up entirely. Becoming a Failed Writer is something that takes a lifetime of dedication and wasted effort.

Urban Fox: It was that fucker Shakespeare that ruined it for the rest of us. If only his stuff had completely sucked, something much less good would be the paragon toward which we are all forced to strive by an unimaginitive and lazy society. The bastard.

And I've been the Stratford. Total shithole.
 
Ah hell, I almost got all the way through it. I've been TO Stratford, not THE Stratford. Bit punchy.
 
Try switching to nonfiction. You only have to write 3 chapters and an outline before you try to sell it. It's much faster--you can fail in a few short months instead of waiting years.

I, too, have an unfinished book but since it's nonfiction I haven't failed by not finishing it yet; I'm just "shopping it around".

The "write what you know" advice is sound. Someday I'll tell you the title of my book.
 
Wait, let's backtrack...you spend your free time writing feminist sci-fi?
 
Bill: I spent enough time writing nonfiction in college and grad school. If I'm going to fail, damn it, I'm going to fail writing something that doesn't make me want to kill myself.

Rita: And now you know why I stopped. It is my ambition, though, to one day finish a story featuring a female lead in scifi/fantasy where she isn't some dork's wet dream version of a woman AND can interact with male characters without having to nail one of them. And thus shall I guarantee my own failure.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger