Wednesday, November 17, 2004
 
Have We Learned Nothing From Moonlighting?
This post is Steph's fault. I guess I could go back to the post and get the evolution of the idea all in order, but really, I can't be bothered. As far as I recall, it had something to do with Steph's burning unscratched carnal itch for Tom Hanks.

I know, you're all thinking "Tom Hanks, really?" but as far as I can recall, that's what she said. I'm not going to try and explain it because, frankly, it defies explanation. Although it's probably important to point out that she's an "artist" and there's just no telling with those people.

Anyway, past Steph's bizarre and disturbing proclivities, we were making fun of The Da Vinci Code (sorry SJ, the consensus amongst the Bucketeers was "Sucks", with you being the lone "Sucks Not" vote) which, honestly, I could do full time, 40 hours a week for a year. What I thought was funny was that the two lead "characters" (that's a whole 'nother post), one male and one female, who had shared nary a second of romantic chemistry along the course of a crowded, self-satisfied plot suddenly and inexplicably at the end are suddenly all in loooove.

Now, I realize that I'm talking about The Da Vinci Code, the book with a giant masochistic ascetic albino giant as one of its principle bad-guys. Subtle shadings and intricacies may be asking too much.

But it's the cliché that irritates me: every time in every movie/book/TV show that involves lead characters of opposing genders, the end up sleeping together.

Always always always.

Look, I recognize it's an easy way to set up dramatic tension either as characters fumble their way toward awkward coitus or as their couplings unravel into plate-throwing and lawyer-retention. But as a convention it's become so ingrained that the internal narrative logic of it has become inescapable.

Even a show whose entire premise is the antagonism of the two lead characters will always end up with sweaty boot-knockin' just as soon as the writers run out of decent ideas. Hence the horrible last 4 seasons of The X-Files.

The worst example of it, I think, is probably the 2002 Clint Eastwood steaming pile o' film Blood Work. Clint played a heart transplant recipient looking (rightly and bravely, I thought) every second of his 72 years old. I would like to emphasize that last word: old. And let's not forget the heart transplant recipient part of his character. He meets up with his heart donor's sister, 30 years his junior. She plays the plucky Hermione to his wrinkly, easily winded Harry Potter as they sneak around trying to solve some damn thing or other.

But even though he's got 30 years on her, even though he looks like a walking corpse, even though he speaks in that unintelligible emphysema whisper, even though he's got this woman's sister's heart (which in some small way makes it incest, doesn't it?) Clint still gets to bang this woman.

Why? Why God, why? Because him man, she woman, trapped in same plot.

She even fondles his nasty zipper-chest heart-surgery scar as foreplay. I realize I'm using alot of italics, but that's because I know you can't see me sweating as I write this. There's no other way to convey the existential crisis this subject is causing me.

Seriously, don't see this movie. I'll spare you: Jeff Daniels did it.

What you're thinking now is: "Pops, what do you care? It's just a comfortable narrative convention used to give artificial depth and meaning to characters and character relationships in media forms with limited time/page space to do so. Chill the [curseword of your choice] out already."

You'd worry too if your wife worked in a field that is 80%+ male. If the convention holds true in real life and male-female parings in the workplace can't help but do it and do it alot, then my wife would have to be the engineering equivalent of Jennifer Lopez. Not with the giant runaway ass, I mean indiscriminately sleeping with co-workers.

No no, I shouldn't worry. My wife has very little in common with Jennifer Lopez. For instance, Mrs. Pops can actually sing.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 6.1


Pops

Comments:
I think J-Lo can sing, I haven't read the DaVinci Code, and I can take or leave Tom Hanks. I have nothing relevant to say, I just wanted to be the first to leave a comment.
 
That makes me second! Second second! Woo! Woooooooo!
 
Fine, blame me for your creatively bankrupt post! All right, so you saw through my act and realized that I truly do have a thing for the soon-to-be Walter Mattau-looking Tom Hanks. What can I say, it all started with Bosom Buddies. Did I mention I've already seen Polar Express 10 times, because he plays, like 5 different characters in it? Oops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that...
 
I would just like to make sure that everyone sees she admits it. My lameness? Steph's fault. It's in writing and cannot be taken back.

Bosom Buddies was a good show though.
 
So I liked DaVinci code...me and the other 48 million bazillion people who bought the damned book. I'm just here to provide balance and fairness to your blog.
 
SJ: Did you just say "fair and balanced"? Bill O'Reilly is going to sue one of us now, I just know it.

I really hope it's me.

MPH: My therapist says my blog-posting lameness has something to do with low self-esteem. That and all the brain damaged caused by fourteen years of glue-huffing.
 
I made it a point to say "balance and fairness." Shit, I don't want O'Lielly coming at me waving that falafel all in my face.
 
Confession time: I liked the damned book, too. I just didn't say so because everyone was all "Pops is the greatest, he's right, that book sucked!"

And I, being the embarassed sheep I am, decided to refrain from comment, else be singled out like the SJ. Well, doubled out, actually. Anyway.

So I happened to like a book that 38 gazillion people happened to like as well. Does that make me inherently wrong? Don't answer that.

I also like Stephen King. Shoot me.
 
SJ: He probably wouldn't wave it in your face. I hear he likes it all impersonal and over the phone. So it would be a metaphorical falafel.

Sunny: No no, look, I said some harsh things about the book, but it's not like I don't think people should be allowed to have enjoyed it or that I think their position is completely ridiculous. No, that would be very Republican of me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger