Monday, November 22, 2004
 
I'll Say They Are
Being the courteous and upstanding citizen that I am, I have returned the favor by linking Omnimatic blog by some dude called Bill. You can check it out if you want to, but beware the poo. That's all I'm saying.

Had Bill not left a comment I would not have known to reciprocate the link. If you read this blog and have linked it on your own but are crippled by some kind of internet text-only version of Social Anxiety Disorder rendering you physically unable to leave a comment, I can't be held responsible for not returning the favor. If you can somehow fight through the panic attack and say something, I will be happy to add you to the Roll of Perpetual Annoyance of blogs I read. I can guarantee persistently and consistently snarky and unhelpful commentary completely inappropriate to your needs or sensibilities. I cannot, however, guarantee that you won't be mocked by my regular readers. They're a ravenous, pitiless bunch of malcontents. If they weren't, what would they be doing here?

OK, business handled. For today I would like to point out that my wife is on vacation, which means I'm on vacation. She feels just guilty enough about leaving everyday to go to work that she insists on doing the annoying things I usually do, such as diaper changing and driving the oldest to school while I laze under the spell of Somnus, snoring like a vibrator on a cookie sheet.

Since she was here, I was able to sneak out and go to a movie. She got to take the oldest to see The Incredibles a few weeks ago as it was justifiably her turn (I had taken the boy to see Saw which in retrospect may have been a miscalculation). Being the petulant spoiled child I am, I insisted on getting the chance to see it myself and went just this morning.

I would like first to say categorically that going to the movies by oneself is not pathetic. It isn't. OK, it might be, but to hell with you all and your "rules". I have children.

As for the film, it may be the best movie I've ever seen. It was beautiful to look at, well paced and plotted, flawlessly animated and shimmering with socially critical undertones beneath the hero-action-flick veneer. It was a fantastic film-going experience.

I do acknowledge, however, that my opinion may be suspect. I get out so rarely that when I do, I tend to get a little excited. I remember being equally effusive about the Hugh Grant-Jeanne Tripplehorn-James Caan Trifecta of Suckitude Mickey Blue Eyes. It is an opinion I have since reconsidered.

This movie, The Incredibles, though may actually have been good. Now nearly an hour since I left the theater, I have no buyer's-remorse related side effects as yet. By that, of course, I mean shame. And the watering eyes. And the abdomnial cramping. And the blood in the stool. Ah, you all know what I'm talking about. I'm sure it happens to everyone.

I would give it a catchy, easily remembered rating based on stars or letter-grades or the extension of one of my extremities to denote inclination/disinclination, but I don't want to press my luck. Next thing I know people will be trying to judge this thing based on some faux-objective scale and I don't think my ego could take it. Glass house, stones, you know...


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 9.5


Pops

Comments:
Going to a movie by yourself is not pathetic. I say this only because I also have children, so by god, if I can go see a movie by myself in a quiet, dark, crunchy theater, then I will be there. My last foray was "The Terminal," so you can see I don't get to be pathetic often. I'm jealous you've seen the Incredibles. I will most likely check that out on DVD in the spring.
 
I used to go see movies alone quite often back in the day. It's easier: you get to see what you want and don't have to worry if the other person likes it or whatever, and you don't have them asking you stuff all the time. Granted, I think all these reasons were founded during the years when I was hanging out with my sister a lot, but they're still valid. I just don't like going to the theaters anymore, period, so I hardly ever go, alone or otherwise. I'd love to see The Incredibles, though--absolutely everyone i know who've seen it have loved it and I'm confident in Pixar and Brad Bird's abilities to deliver the goods. Oh, BTW, Mickey Blue Eyes?!
 
Mr/Ms Anonymous: I feel your pain, although I will say going to see "The Terminal" makes me question your judgment. Although I guess I shouldn't talk.

Steph: See, that's the tragedy, I LOVE going to theaters. You just can't get kicked in the back of the head the same way at home with a DVD.

And I would like to reemphasize that the Mickey Blue Eyes thing was meant to illustrate impaired judgment on my part.

MPH: Go to a 10:30 am showing of The Incredibles then. There were four other people there, all crowded in the front. I had the back 15 rows or so all to myself. I won't lie: I took my pants off.
 
SJ, I DID include the "Although I guess I shouldn't talk" rider at the end there. I recognize my own shameful inadequacy and lapses of judgment.

It doesn't look like you and I are scoring very high on the Pop Culture Compatibility Scale these last few weeks. At least we know we have dick jokes in common to keep us together.
 
I'll take mockery about The Terminal like a man, okay. But I forgot to mention how hard I laughed at the reference to taking your son to see Saw. (I'm still laughing about that.)
 
And I will reserve absolute judgment on The Terminal based on the fact that I have not seen it as yet. But I will say Tom Hanks doing that accent in the previews put me in mind of Steve Martin's goomba voice from My Blue Heaven. This is not a favorable comparison and largely explains my hesitancy thus far.

But I certainly understand grabbing what's available when you can gnaw off a limb and escape the bear-trap of offspring for a night.
 
Aaah. I had forgotten about the Steve Martin/My Blue Heaven fiasco. That was simply the worst casting in the history of casting. It pains me to remember it.
 
Don't forget, that movie also had Rick Moranis, all 4'8" of him, as an FBI agent. You have to admire the comprehensive suckitude of the whole thing if nothing else.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger