Tuesday, November 16, 2004
 
One For The Scat Fans
Something I think most non-parents suspect about parenting that is actually true: parents are much more likely to come into contact with other people's feces than non-parents.

Like most things of which non-parents have an inkling--sleep deprivation, the constant whining, the gerbil-like instinct to devour--there is almost no way for a person without children to understand the scope or the depth of impact of these (and other) parent-specific syndromes.

Yes, the reflexive, mechanical truth is obvious: diaper changing leads to man-on-poo contact. What's hard to really convey is the extent to which said poo becomes a source of constant attention, speculation and conversation.

I know for a fact my childless readers have never (hopefully) asked the following question regarding another human being: "What did his poop look like?"

I know, I know. It's inconceivable that such a thing would ever come up. But if you're considering a trip to the doctor to get your hands on the prescription-strength antifungal ass-balm, you will ask.

Why do I bring it up? Because right now I'm in the midst of an unexpected man-on-poo situation. Not with my still-diapered youngest, oh no, that would be predictable and manageable. No, this is with my middle child, the one without the absorbent undergarments that keep the excretia off the upholstery. My frustration is your misfortune, dear readers.

You're thinking I should be past the unexpectedness of the poo experience, but when you're presumably potty-trained three year old soils himself in the cell-phone store, I think that qualifies as a situation.

I'm sure there's something deeply psychological about it all, this trend of potty-training reversal (and yes, it is a trend). Something to do with his older brother going to school and being shut out from all school-related conversations and activities. I don't know. I'm sure there's something Dr. Phil could say to me to fix this all up within a six-minute segment between commercial breaks and still have time to convince me that I'm a total failure as a parent/human being. Jesus, I hate that bald motherfucker.

Upon further reflection, yes, maybe it's partially my fault for teaching my son to shit on command. But come on, it kills at parties.

One thing I now know doesn't work and I think it would be beneficial to share: rubbing his nose in it doesn't help. I learned the hard way that dogs and kids don't necessarily respond to the same things, discipline-wise. Unless we're talking about the rolled-up newspaper, but that's highly situation-specific.

And lastly I would like to point out--honestly--that as I type this my excrement-befouled 18-month old son is standing next to me, so this is all being produced with the proper background aroma.

I apologize. I got nothin' else. The Tom Hanks thing from yesterday has still got me a little thrown. Between that and the giddy buildup to MPH's 100th post, I'm completely spent emotionally.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 9.6


Pops

Comments:
It seems to me as though I'm always at the computer when you are, because I find myself posting a comment and returning to a new post almost every day.

Every single time, I cross my fingers and chant, "Please let it be about poo, please let it be about poo." While not entirely catchy, it's stuck. I've tried to vary it--make it into some sort of rhyming couplet, perhaps--to no avail.

Thanks for the reminder.. I've been meaning to call Planned Parenthood for a few days.
 
It seems like you're always on when I'm on because, sadly, everyone is on when I'm on. That's what happens when I'm on all the time. 100% overlap. It sounds sad, but it's more interesting than watching my kids.

Check back here often. This is your source for all poo-related content.
 
I was disappointed (no surprise to you, I'm sure) to find out that this post wasn't about improvisational vocal sounds in jazz. Instead, it's about poo. Why do they call that "scatting," anyway? Isn't that kind of insulting? Like the sounds they're emitting is all just...shit? Hm, this demands a federally-funded investigation. Oh yeah, and good luck with that poo thing.
 
The only thing I have to say to that, Steph, is: zabbado wee-waah zeet kot bop bop bop oo ooooooh deebazobba woo-owww.
 
So...what do you think Winnie Cooper's poo looks like?
 
Winnie Cooper never shat, pooped, made, or scatted. Ben Affleck does, all over the place, and he still gets to make out with Jennifer Garner. Therefore, life has no meaning, so let's just hang out at MPH's till he realizes my genius and dedicates his next post to memememememememeeme.
 
Reversal-shitting? Girls don't do that (and lucky me in that respect). Having uttered all of those poo questions and many (many) more, I feel for ya, Pops. In the cell phone store, no less.
 
MPH: No surprises there, sadly. I am slightly surprised, however, that even after I link your goddamn blog every other day AT LEAST, you still find something to bitch about. I get the sneaking suspicion that you're actually my mother posing as gargantuan Indianan. Indianian. Indian. Hoosier. There.

Steph: For the sake of my sanity, I'm going to leave that for MPH, who I presume it was meant.

HFB: Wow, you made that post first about MPH, then about you. It is strikingly Pops-deficient and I have no choice but to find it wanting.

SJ: Me and my goddamn XY has ruined so many things for my family.
 
Ah, I see MPH, now you're coming around. Stealing other people's stuff isn't so bad, is it? Beats the hell out of thinking.
 
Thank you for the inspirational post. I too have faced the poo.
 
Hey, no sweat Bill. Sorry if this reply is late, but the comments thingy doesn't put dates and my e-mail notification has been screwy at best lately.

Anyway, "inspiration" is what I aspire to here. That and undying devotion and worship from my readers. But that's all.

Oh, and lots of money.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger