Friday, November 12, 2004
 
What Is It Good For? Absolutely Nothing (Outside of the Intrinsic Entertainment Value)
It seems that some ABC stations don't want to air Saving Private Ryan in all it's unedited glory, a tradition now for 4 years on Veteran's Day. I think I can understand why: that movie is totally overrated.

While I give the film credit for daring to show Matt Damon as brave gay soldier James Ryan and the very satisfying way they managed to show disembowelment in all its glory, the ending of that movie is so horrible as to undo all the otherwise good stuff in it.

It's supposed to be a front-line war reporter-type view of the truth(-ish) of combat, a kind of anti-John Wayne look at military service. Everyone dies quickly and/or painfully, without much warning or cosmic narrative sense.

That is, right up until the veeerrry end when the Star, Captain Tom Hanks, dies. No, he lies there wounded after performing a feat of bravery for the good of all mankind, and as he does he gets to eek out one last line of important, totally spontaneous plot-related advice to the title character: "Earrrn th-thisssss..." Gurgle, gurgle, expire.

Very John Wayne and therefore completely unacceptable.

But I will say that other scene toward the end where Adam Goldberg (he who would go on to dazzle us as The Hebrew Hammer) gets slowly killed with his own knife after a long fight with a Nazi has and will (tonight, for instance) ruined many a night's sleep for me.

As alternate programming on some ABC stations, you can instead watch Return to Mayberry, the excellent "Andy Griffith Show" reunion piece that ties up all the loose ends and unanswered questions that bedevil American minds. I guess technically it addresses the questions and loose ends that bedeviled American minds back in 1986 when the thing was made, but come on, the names are really funny. Opie. Goober. Gomer. Barney. How can you go wrong?

No, the real controversy with regard to Ryan is from fear of reprisal by the FCC's George-Bush-America Thought Police in a post-Janet Jackson climate. In order to try and mitigate the inevitible damage caused by young people being exposed to swearing and images of violence not accompanied by a bumpin' Jay-Z song, John McCain has recorded a WARNING! introduction for the start of the film.

That John McCain. He'll do just about anything to stick it to George Bush. You kind of have to admire that.

Or if you didn't want to watch the lovable Tom Hanks lovably cursing while people around him are being lovably blown to grisly bits on broadcast TV, you had the option of switching channels entirely to watch Last Letters Home, an HBO documentary where families read letters they got from their sons/daughters/husbands/wives/etc. who had been killed in Iraq.

I seriously considered watching this one, but then I opted to sit in a bath of broken glass and vinegar while punching myself in the face over and over again. It seemed like the less masochistic option.

Instead, to honor America and her brave veterans, I spent the two-hour block of time during which Ryan and Letters aired playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault multiplayer. Since I was feeling particularly patriotic, I only played as a Nazi very nearly less than half the time.

But when I did play as an Allied soldier, you can rest assured I made those digitally rendered representations of Axis motherfuckers pay.

It was the least I could do.

I mean that absolutely literally.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 7.2


Pops

Comments:
I was playing Command & Conquer: Generals, Zero Hour during Pvt. Ryan (which, btw, they did play here in Alabammy. We love violence here. We have guns, you know.) I was the U.S. of A. defeating the slimy GLA (Global Liberation Army), a thinly veiled Al-Qaeda like army. I felt very patriotic when the bastards went down.
 
MPH: I feel sorry for them. They have no idea the hurricane of hard-blowing sarcasm and stinging punnery they have heading their way. The poor, unknowing saps.
 
Whoops, forget to finish the responses...

Urban Fox: There's a joke in there about one-handed typing that I'm going to let lie.

SJ: We've all got to do our bit to defend fictitious iterations of the United States produced digitally in the video game environment. A grateful nation thanks you.
 
I think the veterans would be most honored and happy if they could come the fuck home, or get taken care of as they should when they do get home. I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan with my mom and sister when it came out. For some reason, my mom wanted to see it, so we went. She's been a nurse forever, so she was watching all the gory scenes without a flinch. My sister and I, meanwhile, were wrecks, all scrunched down in our seats, peeking out from between our fingers. She said afterwards that if everyone in American went to see that movie, we wouldn't be such a bunch of whiners and complainers. She should know--she fled from North Korea with her family during the Korean war and experienced things I couldn't even imagine, like escaping by boat in the middle of the night and watching a crying baby get thrown overboard because it was endangering the whole boat. Pretty crazy.
 
Steph, my mom's a nurse too. Seeing movies like that, they could have a scene where blood comes shooting out of a person like a sprinkler system and she'll sit there and explain which artery the blood was most likely supposed to be shooting from and where you should put pressure to stop a bleed like that.

Silly me for focusing on the fact that the guy in the movie just got his face blown off. But then, I'm more of a big-picture type.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger