Thursday, December 16, 2004
 
Moment Of Clarity
OK, so just to be absolutely, 100% clear about yesterday's post: it was supposed to be satire.

I was shocked and awed in a very sweet, non-Rumsfeldian kind of a way at all the concern I got from my dedicated readers... most of them anyway.

If you misunderstood, that's all on me. I wasn't trying to trick anyone, really. Well, except the entire Christian Right, but more on that in a moment.

For regular Bucketeers, as I wrote the thing I thought I was making it obvious; references to my wife sodomizing me with a foreign object while I slept, calling sports-talk radio for relationship advice, quoting a line from Ghostbusters, etc. As usual, "what I thought" as I was writing ultimately had very little to do with any kind of reality.

As I said, whatever misunderstanding happened I take full responsibility for. As for what (sort of) went wrong, I see two options:

1) I am a master satirist, capable of evoking images and emotions so deeply primal that readers are unable to distinguish the fictive and the actual, the hard-lined contours delineating reality from rhetoric smeared into a spectrum of infinite, borderless color by a swirling, raining miasma of words and images that speak directly to the human soul, bypassing the discerning intellect.

2) I am an incompetent hack incapable of making a coherent point.

I do see that you people don't actually have any kind of context against which to judge what is and isn't true about me and my life. Know what? I kind of dig that. Suffer in your ignorance, people. To quote billionaire philanthropist Jimmy James, I am a riddle wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce.

That said, from here on out I recognize that I will be the Blogger Who Cried Silly. As touching as it is to know you all would have my back (at least for the few seconds it takes to crank out a comment on a post) in a crisis, the result of this episode may be that should something actually happen, I'm going to have some skeptical, skeptical readers on my hands. I can see it: "No, I swear, my mom really did get run over by a train. God damn you people, believe me!"

Beyond satire of the moment, my main goal for the post was--and still is--to have it circulate around the internet as an inspirational chain letter among irony-proof right wing nutcases as an actual example from real life how gay marriage ruins hetero marriages. I want to be as famous as the person who first wrote that Clinton murdered people and fathered dozens of black children out of wedlock. Fingers crossed.

Mrs. Pops has asked me to point out that she is not in fact a raving homophobic, change stealing, family-abandoning xenophobe. When I asked her what I should say about the night-time sodomizing with a foreign object, she kind of just shrugged and walked away.

And I would never refer to homosexuals as "homos" if I were being serious. It's dismissive and vague. In my everyday life I celebrate diversity by using much more specific terms: "pickle-smokers" for the guys, "carpet-munchers" for the ladies. I'm sure the gay and lesbian community appreciates it.

In closing, I will quote a certain anonymous someone who summed up his/her reaction to learning the truth about yesterday's post via e-mail: "Fucker."

I don't think I can improve on that.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 10.0 (is it possible to be more self-referential? I think not)


Pops


PS- Tomorrow: the story about the time my oldest boy accidentally killed homeless guy. It's true!

PPS- This topic saved you all from a long, long post about how Australia has decided to stop calling soccer "soccer" in favor of "football". Damn. Maybe tomorrow.

Comments:
Come on, I said I almost wanted to be a Republican. You had to have some kind of inkling.
 
OK, color me fascinated. I didn't know Tourette's came in "cases". This is why people should always wash their hands.
 
Yeah, you almost even had me fooled, so you know it had to be good ;) But, unlike many others, it seems, I actually read down to the end. Maybe that's part of the problem--you are, admittedly, a Ramblin' Man. Perhaps the posts could be a bit more concise. Or not. I mean, who cares if people think you're getting sodomized by your wife. Some people might be envious.
 
Well, it also comes in 2 liter bottles, and 6 packs, but I find that it's more economical to just get the case at Costco, and freeze most of them.
 
I "got" the satire, for the record. But I know how you feel. Last April First I posted a completely false April Fools post. Apparently it sounded too true because everyone believed it. Sigh.
 
Fucker indeed. I mean, you post about your kids and their ongoing public speaking engagements, your mom's travels for the needy, and then we're supposed to believe you are NOT sodomized? Come on.
 
Steph: I just think it's fascinating that people went right past that part of the post, like they just assumed it must be true. I must be giving off a very sodomy-friendly vibe in my posts.

HFB: I do the same thing, but with the variety pack of giant muffins from Costco.

Butcher: Well, if they didn't catch on on freakin' April Fool's Day, all I can say is they get what they get.

SJ: My mom travels for the needy? Have I been sleep-posting again or something? No, my mom only travels when she needy a job to keepy herself financially solvent.

Wow, you're right. I am a fucker.
 
If you want people to take you more seriously, you have to stop using 'alot.' It's two words. Also, when you're satirically emulating Republicans, "bone smuggler" will probably get more laughs than "pickle smoker."
 
Thanks for the comment, Captain Grammar. You misunderstand though: the LAST thing I want for people to take me "more seriously". So I will continue to sporadically use "alot" and "altogether" in stead of "a lot" or "all together" just to give the impression that I may just be retarded.

Working so far, I must say.
 
...by needy, I meant, isn't she like a nurse or something? That could very well have been someone else's blog. I read too many of them it seems, sorry for the confusion. I know it's not MPH's because there are no redeeming qualities in any of his posts.
 
Damnit, Pops. I didn't think that most of the freaking thing was serious. It's just that I've known my fair share of people who play off of real-life experiences when they jest. I was covering my bases and not wanting to sound like MPH when I replied with concern.

As for the Boy Who Cried Silly, I hope your soft drink forevermore comes with 90% ice.
 
SJ: Ah yes. OK, we're on the same page now. My mom is in fact a nurse. I would also describe her as "needy" in some instances, come to think of it.

Sunny: While it wasn't based on my "personal experience", I've had nearly a dozen divorces in my close family (four just among my parents!), so I knew how to paint an accurate picture at least.
 
Yes, well spotted MPH. One thing: "at least I don't make you think my life is really going wrong".

Er... OK, maybe you don't try to directly, but it's always kind of implied, isn't it?
 
Ladies and Gentlemen of the ... blog ... as further proof of my supreme beingness which is much supremer than MPH can ever hope to be, I hereby provide proof and one hell of a run-on sentence that MPH is just a dirty liar. Exhibit A: Btw Pops, if what you just wrote isn't supremely good satire, then I do hope all goes well. If it is supremely good satire, then I also hope all goes well. See I am not that much of a bastard . . . OKCupid, hmmmm I wonder if high school girls hand out there.
Despite his salacious comment about underage girls, this comment clearly shows a concern about another human being. A human being that is (possibly) not a hot girl with brown hair. So, there. I rule, there's nothing more to say.
 
It was close, but in light of the inadvertant (yet still totally annoying) double-post, I'm going to have to rule in favor of HappyFunBall.

The bailiff will now beat you until you piss blood.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger