Tuesday, December 28, 2004
 
On Track
The other day when I said I only got Return of the King and 15-20 extra pounds of Me for Christmas, that wasn't quite 100% inclusive.

I forgot to mention my $50 Best Buy gift card. How I forgot to mention it, I'll never know. And as this blog is the official detailed record of my life in which not only is everything I say here completely and unassailably true, but I think the case can be increasingly made that if an event is not blogged, it can be said not to have occurred at all.

The explanation is a complicated intermix of quantum physics, temporal mechanics, basic metaphysical existentialism and bullshit, none of which I have time to get in to right now. My wife's out at the Old Navy spending her gift card and flirting with teenage sales guys with washboard abs and I need to get this done before she gets back and asks me to do something. If I'm lucky she'll get to second base with one of the Not-Quite-Abercrombie-Material bo-hunks and buy me a little more time. But assuming she doesn't, I'm going to have to hurry this along.

So I've mentioned my Best Buy card and therefore now it actually exists. Existed I guess as it's been spent. Well, I suppose it physically still exists in the wastebin liner of the Best Buy in Corona, but bereft of its redeemable value it has been rendered inert, value-less, forgotten, like Kajagoogoo.

I really shouldn't blog right after reading.

At any rate, I'm feeling pretty good. I've made some small but significant steps toward my ultimate dream of Failed Writerhood. It happens every year at my birthday and at Christmas. Just when I'm tiring of whatever it is that is keeping me from getting any actual work done, an event rolls around (my birthday is roughly half a year away from Christmas) that involves people handing me Best Buy gift cards.

The inevitable result is that I will find something in the Best Buy (is it possible not to?) to amuse myself, to draw my attention away from what I should be doing if I were on the Successful Writer track and instead spend my evenings all alone, after the wife and kids have gone to bed, scoring virtual touchdowns, piloting aircraft or slaughtering bloodthirsty aliens bent on the destruction of mankind with only me and my trusty array of plasma-spewing energy weapons to stop them.

I decided this year I would buy CDs so as to a) keep culturally current and b) discourage the purchase of a shiny new $50 game. Want to know what's funny? If you buy slightly older games, you can get them for like $20! And still buy three CDs for just over $50!

So for the next few months I'll be one of the Knights of the Old Republic saving the Star Wars universe (circa 2003) from the evil Darth Malak and his Sith cohorts.

I may never write again. Except here, but that hardly counts.



This post on the Narcissus Scale: 9.7


Pops

Comments:
I was hoping sunny might hook me up with an X Box just for that game, but alas, it didn't work out that way.
 
You have written more than anyone had a right to about gift cards, but that's what blogging's all about. Much ado about nothing. Anyways, kudos for wise and effective use of the card--I wish I could spew enthusiasms about the game, but alas, I cannot. I'm just not that into Star Wars, especially after the latest two movies...peewww.... Hey, when are you going to do that quiz, dammit? I think you might have read my post pre-addendum.
 
B: Sure, rub it in that you have an XBox while I have to go to my in-laws house to use one.

Steph: You dismiss the Best Buy gift card as though it were trivial. I assure you it is not.

And about the quiz thingy... er... we will have to see.
 
No, no no. Pops, you clearly misread that comment. B was stating that I failed to buy him that XBox (which is ridiculous, because everything I bought him for Xmas is still under the TV--which is serving as our tree this year--was paid for with the money that I got out of his bank account).

Believe me, when he opens his gifts, you'll know how lucky you are to have gotten what you did.
 
Oh hellz yeah, I'm all about buying older games. I'm still pissed that I spent $50 on Return of the King last year and now I can get it for $9.99. Bastards.

I had the first "Knights" in my hand yesterday, as a matter of fact. I'll have to buy it now, so we can compare notes.
 
Sunny: Since you put it that way, let me say IN YOUR FACE, B!

MPH: Just knowing I was able to jerk you around emotionally has made a good day great.

Brian: Most of my notes on the game so far go like this: "Goddamn choppy graphics. I need a new video card. And a processor... which means a new motherboard" and then getting hit in the back of my head by my wife. It sounds harsh, but it's for my own good.

I'm barely into the game so far, but it's fun, from what I've seen. "Game of the Year" and all.
 
Pops, read through most of your posts. I'm glad the Colts won, the Raiders still suck. Loved my Best Buy gift card. Bought a PC game for my daughter that involved online fees to pay. Sucks, so I took it back and got a GameCube game. Good to be back reading your stuff.

Rory
 
Rory, welcome back. When things are going less-than-optimal, I find the best thing to do is to read as much of my writing as possible. I'm very happy to see you agree with me.
 
Stumbled across your blog - it makes good reading. Thought you might be interested in our great gift website. With Christmas not far away you cwill be able to find a range of superb unique and novelty gift ideas for everyone. Take a look at The Cosmic Superstore or Christmas gift ideas UK
 
Dear Blogger, isn't the internet amazing? I was out looking for info and sites related to buy a christmas tree and the search put up your post 'this post'. Whilst it's not exactly what I was looking for I can see why it came up when I searched on buy a christmas tree and other terms. Just thought I'd let you know I stopped by. Bye for now and thanks for a good read!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger