Tuesday, December 07, 2004
 
The Times They Are A-Changin'
I was born in 1974, which means I was old enough to start thinking and acting as a semi-independent person right around 1980. There were lots of horrid things about the 1980s (skinny ties, white blazers over pastel T-shirts, the palpable fear of imminent nuclear destruction, that song by Starship, Ronald Reagan, the rise of the key-tar). But the 80s, for all the hair-product abuse and synthesized music, have one thing going for them: they weren't the 60s.

So far, the only decades better than the 1980s have been the 1990s (30 years after the 60s) and this decade (40 years after the 60s). I have high hopes for the 2010s.

As an avowed liberal I should have more sympathy for the 1960s ethos, but I just can't. As far as I can tell, the easy access to drugs and the ravages of sexually transmitted diseases has produced an entire generation of people who are mildly--but permanently and undeniably--brain damaged.

This thesis would explain alot of things, including the success of the redesigned VW Beetle. Without the support of hippies and their sorority-girl daughters, not a single one of those monstrosities would have been sold. We could also chalk up Earth Day, ponchos and the unwillingness of the Rolling Stones to just fucking go away already to their list of crimes against humanity.

And then just yesterday, I read this: a company in conjunction with Motorola has developed cell phones that grow into sunflowers when thrown away. I assume you have to bury and water them first.

How do I know it's the Hippie Cabal that's behind this? Because it can't just be that a new type of plastic is introduced that biodegrades, oh no, it has to grow into a goddamn sunflower. It might as well play Bob Dylan songs and distribute tabs of LSD.

This is really just another insidious example of tiresome, well-off former hippies uncomfortable with their own affluence, even as they revel in it like sows in shit.

I can hardly wait until the day all the Baby Boomers are retired or dead and my generation finally gets its day. We'll make cell-phones that not only don't grow sunflowers, not only will they not biodegrade, but when you plant them in the ground, they'll eventually grow another brand-new non-biodegradable cell phone; or maybe something else to take up space in landfills that piss hippies off, like baby diapers or refrigerators.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. It's possible that my reaction to this story is somewhat overwrought because of my own personal embarrassment. I've been composting old electronic equipement on my front lawn for years now, in direct violation of my home-owners' association guidelines, trying to grow porcini mushrooms. So far it hasn't grown a thing no matter how much I water it. It doesn't even draw flies.

The heap is up to six feet tall and has cost me over $800 in fines. Boy, do I feel like an ass now.

And to the guy from across the street who I threw the old DVD player at after you laughed at me and reported me to the HOA, I would like to say two things: 1) sorry, which I believe fulfills my court-mandated public apology and 2) I fucking told you so. Turns out I was just ahead of my time.

Again.



This post on the Narcissus Scale: 6.1


Pops

Comments:
I'd heard about that sunflower cell phone thing! It's ridiculous--this is helping...how, exactly? Perhaps if they had a designated spot where the phones could be sent and buried, to eventally grow a sunflower field like in the South of France, could be an interesting idea, but just for people to randomly drop these things anywhere? Like they're not gonna get pulled out or killed for being in an inconvenient place? Ugh, too many practical logistical things these hippies haven't thought of, I'm sure. Yeah, I'm just suppoed to buy and love your phone because it has a sunflower seed in it. Aw, how cute. I guess if I get hungry, I could eat it, but it's just one freakin' seed, so it won't even make a substantial snack...oh I could go on, but I should stop taking up so much comment space.
 
As someone from the actual Baby Boom generation (it ended in 1964. I'm 1963, you fucking babies), I also wish the Rolling Stones would just fucking go away. I mean, I got all into them when I was in college (ahem, it was the 80s. And I totally had a lesbian hair cut/femmullet. But everyone did. It was the 80s.) and even named my dog Mick Jagger (she was the greatest dog ever, so don't dis my female dog named Mick Jagger. Especially since she's dead now.). But now I can't bear to see them, let alone listen to them. God, just retire already.
 
Huh, I didn't know that's when the baby boom generation ended--that means my hub is officially a baby boomer as well (b. 1964)! I'll have to tease him about it. Pops, you're only 30 and you have 3 kids? I was going to ask if you were a Mormon but I remembered your kids go to Catholic school. Catholics are no slouches in the procreation department, so I suppose it's understandable, but damn... You're like a "child husband"--how old's Mrs. Pops? Since you're all anonymous-like, I'm sure she won't mind if you reveal her age :)
 
Aha! Finally, it is my turn to give you tiresome reading suggestions which you will not follow through on. With regard to aging hippies and their takeover of corporate America (see: Ben and Jerry's, Silicon Valley, Starbucks, etc), you should read David Brooks' Bobos in Paradise. He thinks they're ridiculous too.

And, just for the record, "that song by Starship" is like the greatest song ever. It's right up there with MC Hammer's classic hiphop masterpiece, "Can't Touch This." And I don't need no haters like you be tellin' me othawise.

--Rita
 
SJ: Is that when the Baby Boom ends? I never know. My grandparents started having kids in 1950 and didn't stop until 1971 (yes, I have an aunt who is three years older than me). So I guess that's all the same generation, but now that I know that '64 is the hard cut-off date, I'm even more confused.

Steph: I am Catholic, just like my grandparents (see above) who ground out 12 squealing Catholic brats all by themselves. Surgical intervention will keep Mrs. Pops and I from approaching that number AND ensure my reservation in hell. Well worth the money, I'd say.

And Mrs. Pops is just a wee little youngster. She's roughly 2 months younger than me.

Ritanonymous: I heard that dude on NPR (speaking of tiresome reading suggestions). I would totally read it, but I can't get past the term "Bobo". It's just too contrivedly silly.

And no Hammer song can stand on its own. You need the visual: more than anything, to me, "Can't Touch This" says "parachute pants".

MPH: Eating the phones is optional, but I get the feeling they may actually taste like stale, unsalted dirt. If you want my advice, save your money and hit the McDonald's if that's the flavor you're after.
 
Welcome, new people!

Gama: Oh, that Sunny. I really should get her something for Christmas. Ah! I'll leave a comment on her blog! She'll love that.

Tony: I eat there alot too, sadly. But do we do it for the flavor really or because it's on our way home, costs less than $10 and we don't have to get out of our cars?

Me, I do it for the adrenaline rush. Who knows what it is you're actually eating!
 
He also writes for the NY Times. Ok, yes, he was trying to coin the new Big Thing when he came up with "Bobo." Unfortunately, it was not the word "blog," so it was doomed to fail. Still, the book is funny.

--Rita
 
Ooh, the New York Times, that could be a problem. I only read the NY Post. Or the Washington Times. It's my way of sticking it to the goddamn liberal media.
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ayurveda teesholden t-shirt site called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger