Friday, December 03, 2004
 
Tinky-Winky
I forgot, I was going to mention this exchange I saw on Hardball last night. Checking over at Wonkette reminded me. She has the full transcript over there. This is Chris Matthews and Jerry Falwell. The discussion is about homosexuality. I can't think of two people better qualified. No mention of Teletubbies whatsoever, though.

[...]
MATTHEWS: How did they get to be gay, though?

FALWELL: Well, we probably differ there.

MATTHEWS: I'm asking.

FALWELL: But I think all behavior is chosen.

MATTHEWS: I'm open. I don't know.

FALWELL: I think that...

MATTHEWS: Did you choose to be heterosexual?

FALWELL: I did.

MATTHEWS: You chose it? You thought about it and you came up with that solution? That lifestyle? (CROSSTALK)

FALWELL: Put it this way. I was taught as a child that's the right way to...

MATTHEWS: But did you feel an attraction toward women?

FALWELL: Oh, of course.

MATTHEWS: When people are born and they find themselves having an attraction to somebody from the same sex, do you think that's a choice?

FALWELL: I think you can experiment with any kind of perversity and develop an appetite for it, just like you can food.

MATTHEWS: You don't think it's nature? You think it's nurture.

FALWELL: I don't think any -- I don't think anybody is born a bank robber or born a hostile left-winger or a hostile right-winger or gay or a promiscuous heterosexual. I think there comes a time in childhood where environment may be a part of it, whatever, teaching, instruction, one chooses, I will do this or that. And that's why good, godly parenting... (CROSSTALK)

MATTHEWS: How old were you when you chose to be heterosexual?

FALWELL: Oh, I don't remember that.

MATTHEWS: Well, you must, because you say it's a big decision.

FALWELL: Well, I started dating when I was about 13.

MATTHEWS: And you had to decide between boys and girls. And you chose girls.

FALWELL: I never had to decide. I never thought about it. (CROSSTALK)

MATTHEWS: I think it's a ridiculous proposition that you actually sit down and decide. Let me see, boy or girl this week. Anyway...

FALWELL: I don't think anybody does that.
[...]


I never thought I'd see it, but Chris Matthews was actuall gay-baiting Jerry Falwell.

Also, I think it's fascinating that a giant tub of lardy goo like Jerry Falwell says "I think you can experiment with any kind of perversity and develop an appetite for it, just like you can food."

If anyone would know, Jerry. If anyone would know.



Pops

Comments:
That is pure, solid gold.

Who is Jerry referring to, when he talks about "hostile right-wingers"? Just curious.
 
Sunny: About the "hostile right wingers" thing, I can only imagine he's thinking of some hypothetical cross-breed between a Republican, a Nazi, Jesus and a wing-nut militia type. Kinda like Reagan with a Chaplin mustache.

It is nice to see him equate homosexuality with bank robbing, though.

Steph: Whoa, we're looking at my blog at exactly the same time. I can only hope you're as fascinated as I am by it.
 
I'm glad to see that the Christian leaders have come up with an answer to "Is it a choice?" by relating it to food that you used to hate, but now have chosen to eat for some inexplicable reason. (Tofu springs to mind.)

"I prefer tofu over cock."--J. Falwell

And I still hate Chris Matthews with the white hot hate of a thousand suns.
 
Aw, come on SJ, have a little love for Chris. He's the only one out there who asks questions and is genuinely interested in hearing the answer.

Granted, he's only interested in hearing his answer to his own questions but still, it's intellectual curiosity. You won't find that on Crossfire or The O'Reilly Fuctor.

And sure, yes, Chris can get a little hyperventilatey (I made up a word!) and miss entire points, but that's just good TV.
 
Come to think of it, Chris Matthews is quite porcine as well. I think there's a correlation between being porcine and right-winged. Wait, forgot about Michael Moore--my theory's flawed, but I'll talk about it anyway, like a scientist.
 
What? Hey, no, Chris is definitely not right wing. He's the only one out there who's a Democrat (he worked in the Carter White House and with Speaker Tip O'Neil... yes, I've seen the show too many times).

The correlation between obesity and conservatism has been explored in depth in Al Franken's Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot. It's got dated references to people like Newt Gingrich, but the thesis is still sound.
 
You know, for those who remember that Gluttony is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, just buying a Monster Thickburger could be considered an act of perversion.
 
Here on the South Side of Chicago, 120% of the population voted for Kerry (vote early, vote often). Judging by observations taken on repeated rides on city busses, about 80% of the population is also grossly obese (I mean grossly as in very much AND gross to look at). How does the theory explain this?
 
Well, Chicago is obviously a statistical anomaly. Any major metropolitan area whose entire existence is predicated on the consumption of pork and pork by-products is going to skew heavy and spoil the overall (and highly scientific) national sample.
 
I should've realized that you are not familiar with Chicago demography and been more blunt. So, basically, my point is this, plus or minus some generalization: The South Side has lots of black people. Black people are liberal. Many, many black people are obese. It has little to do with Chicago's legacy for meatpacking, and a lot to do with the fact that the only businesses that exist here are fast food chains. Every single one you have ever heard of, in fact. All right here, next to each other, in a row.
 
I am a slow-witted fucker, aren't I? Curse me and my unfamiliarity with a city to which I have never been.

Unless you count that one time my plane stopped at O'Hare. I never actually got out of the plane, but what I could see through my little 8"x4" window looked positively, absolutely... er... urban.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger