Friday, December 31, 2004
 
The Year In A Bucket
Friday July 9, 2004. Sunrise was a little brighter. The air smelled a little sweeter. Flowers bloomed and birds sang. Where a regular, boring, personality-free human once existed, "Pops" was born. A regular, boring, personality-free human with a blog. Here's the aftermath:

January through June: Events probably happen. It's hard to say for sure as there is no blog record of any of it.

Related: trees fall hundreds of miles from closest pair of working human ears. I have no idea if they make a sound or not, but the idea of deforestation makes me smile.

July: A combination of painkillers prescribed after an unfortunate attempt at home fireworks along with some gaps in the community service portion of my sentence lead me to create this blog.

Lots of awkwardness and flailing. I throw out random half-remembered phrases and concepts from grad school, the last time I wrote anything anyone else ever read. Rita arrives and points out that I may actually be full of shit. Panicked, I collapse into a defensive ball, retreating behind a shield of easy dick and poo jokes. I hope one day to emerge.

Also, being a political year, content provides itself. The Democratic Convention drops in Boston. I said this:

It was a good speech by Kerry (short attention span remembers), but he's still kinda... bleh. Uninspiring in alot of ways. The one things he does have going for him is that it would take Abu Ghraib-style genital electrodes to get me to vote for GWB. Not just owning them either, I mean attaching them and probably turning them on.

An ominous portent in retrospect.

August: Despite serious content competition from politics and the Olympics, my simmering, roiling hate of hippies bubbles to the surface like white-hot magma that only burns Grateful Dead albums and pants made of hemp. I also display a strange inability to distinguish between hippies, Baby Boomers and Marxists. I blame my hippie Marxist Boomer grad school professors.

We commit my firstborn into the care of Catholic education, guaranteeing that he will one day reject me for being a) too Jesus or b) not Jesus enough. That's worth the cost of tuition right there.

September: Fall begins. Odds are that it would have done so anyway without me to document it in my blog, but it's good that I was here. You know, just in case. I said this about it:

And all that leaf changing stuff? Yeah, the whole place turns an even lovelier shade of dirt brown. And that's only for the trees that actually shed leaves. Most of them don't even bother. Don't get me started on palm trees, either. They just sit there, impassive, all year, never failing to ruin Christmas.

I would revisit that palm tree theme later.

God tries to erase Florida from the map. I cheer him on.

Within two weeks of starting school, my kid caves his face in on the playground. I convince the doctor to prescribing me some Oxy-Contin.

Turns out I dislike George Bush.

And God bless Alan Keyes.

October: The month before the election.

Layoffs are threatened (again) my wife's work and I wring ever last drop of drama out of it for my blogging pleasure. Riots in cities across the Midwest and South. Governors call in the National Guard, but they're all over in Iraq. Bad luck. A Chick-Fil-A is burned to the ground. Nothing to do with me or my blog as far as I know, but the timing is suspicious.

I reach 100 posts and calm descends.

Jon Stewart says the word "dick" and breaks the blogosphere.

The last presidential debate happens. I said this:

Now we come to it: Who won?

There can only be one answer: John McCain. Have you ever seen one politician not in the race get so much goddamn air-time? I like John McCain too, but Jesus. He only gets one vote, fellas. I know Bush has got some bad karma to work off from the 2000 South Carolina primary, but Kerry is just all over the guy's ass. It's enough to make you wonder if McCain might just know which Vietnamese hookers John Kerry got syphilis from and where to find them on short notice or something.

The Bucket becomes a magnet for all those on the internet searching for information on Vietnamese Hookers.

The debate is one-sided and the party in expectation of the inevitible Kerry landslide begins.

I begin to eat Halloween candy.

November: I cry a little bit. I eat alot. I said this:

No, that's what blogs are for.

I can vent my political spleen all over the walls of the internet(s) and affect some kind of catharsis that obviates the need to actually leave my seat and do something socially productive.

And also I said this:

As my martial arts class has been in limbo for the last month (it starts again Monday), the combination of lots of quality Ass Sitting time with my new hobby of chewing and swallowing anything and everything within arm's reach, Pops is starting to get a little paunchy. By "a little paunchy" I mean I'm sitting here typing this in my wife's maternity clothes. Not the girly stuff, but just a plain black cotton/lycra blend top and elasti-pants (with stretchy gut-panel!) to comfortably accomodate my improving girth. Not really sure why she complained about wearing it when she was pregnant. It's very forgiving and the black is slimming.

Other shit probably happened, but I'm depressed again.

Oh wait! I changed my blog template and my growing throng of readers reacted with revulsion (but probably less alliteration). I ignore them, gambling that the boredom that drove them to read this in the first place will be stronger than any principled aesthetic. I win.

Also, we bond over making fun of Colin Firth.

December: I run out of ideas entirely, filling the gaps with memes and dick jokes and making fun of Canada. I try serious satire and scare people.

Holidays give me a few blessed days off where I don't have to think of anything to say and I can write meaningless retrospective nonsense in lieu of manufacturing original content.

Happy New Year.


[The Narcissus Scale has been given the day off. It was last seen sitting in stand-still traffic on I-15 near Baker heading for Vegas.]

Pops


PS: And if I had to pick a "Best Post" it would probably be this one. All the rest are tied for second.

Comments:
Lucky The Scale has the day off. It'd be like sticking the back porch thermometer in the oven.
I see now why you get along with Rita: You're both Republicans. Come on out.
First Greenspan, now hippies. You are a generation bigot. T-t-t-t-t-talkin' 'bout YOUR generation...
"Cuddle Party" was an excellent post, one of the best I've seen.
Thanks for the recap. As you may recall, I started to read your entire blog start to finish. Now I don't have to.
 
Larry, that's the first time I've ever been called a Republican. Thanks, that's one for the scrap book.

And I wouldn't hate Boomers so much if I didn't know you bastards were going to steal my Social Security.

But I guess with luck our President will blow it up before you get a chance to and we'll all be equally hosed.

MPH: Curious indeed. Sunspots I guess or maybe electromagnetic space storms or something. There has to be SOME explanation.

We may never know for sure.
 
>...that's the first time I've ever been called a Republican...<

OK, maybe I was a little harsh, but I still think you are too damned conciliatory.
And you should relax about Social Security. Nobody would be more at risk in this regard than the baby boom generation, if there were a "Social Security Crisis," which there is not. The system needs a minor tweak, perhaps the funding of one less high-tech bomber per year, but the current crop of "leaders" wants to dismantle our system of a low-yield but secure federally managed plan and replace it with a scheme to shift the retirement savings of the nation into -- surprise! -- the pockets of investment bankers and CEO's, with the caveat that if you happen to invest in, say, an Enron or an MCI, you can kiss your life savings goodbye, but you should starve happy because you had the opportunity to act as a rugged individual. To get guys like me to shut up and let it happen, they propose to spend 2 TRILLION dollars (your kids and their kids will pick up the tab, OK?) to fund the transition.
The good news is that inevitably even the Christian Right will wake up start to object to this kind of foolish spending. The bad news is that the beneficiaries of this scam will be isolated in walled and guarded cities by then. OK, not really, but their money (which used to be ours) will make them untouchable.
Your enemies are not hippies or boomers, who have been paying for fifty years to keep Social Security afloat. Your enemies are your elected officials.
Happy New Year to you and Mrs. P, and the Popsicles.
 
(Damn, Larry Jones almost started his own blog right here in your comments section.)

And Pops, I'm just curious, your 'favorite post' listed, was that the first time Killy came to your blog? From the comments, it looks like it. Just curious. I'm pretty sure I found your blog through her link, so there's another useless piece of info from me. And I did get the Planes, Trains reference, but wasn't around to say it back then.
 
Hmm, I guess I could check on the Killy thing SJ, but I've already showered and the hot water killed off any lingering energy I had left.

If that wasn't her first visit, it was close.

Her blog was also where I first found your blog. Interesting.

But honestly, I don't like being reminded about the dark days before SJ read my blog. Very disturbing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger