Friday, January 07, 2005
 
Fear And Trembling or "Did You Feel It?"
About five minutes after I got out of bed yesterday, I was on the phone with Mrs. Pops. She goes in really early. She never calls that early, but she's helping out with a friend's bridal shower this month, so she had a list of stuff for me to do.

Just as I was about to tell her what I thought about that, just when I was about to point out that she was the one who volunteered to help and she should leave me the fuck out of it, goddamn it, because I'm a man and I don't have to do what she says because she's not the boss of me.

And then BOOM!shake-a-shake-a-shake...

Earthquake! Aaaaaagh! Earthquake earthquake! Doomed! Dooooomed! DOOOOOOMED!

Then it stopped. I have no idea how my wife knew what I was thinking and even less how she managed to rattle the very earth in order to pre-emptively punish me for it, but I apologized immediately anyway.

The quake measured 4.4 on the Narcis... er Richter scale and was centered in Fontana, roughly 25 miles north of me (as the MapQuest flies). When I learned that, the first thing I thought was: that's how karma works. Fontana used to be a steel town. Like all other American steel towns, it had fallen on hard times in the last, oh, thirty years or so. What this earthquake shows is that the answer to economic hard times is not and can never be to build a NASCAR track. That's what the people of Fontana did and now God has voiced his displeasure. When the firstborn sons of every family suddenly drop dead, don't say you weren't warned.

My second thought: minor local earthquake, no damage, no injuries. Finally! That super-depressing tsunami story is so over. Why would a news station carry a story about hundreds of thousands of dead foreigners again for like the 20th day in a row when they have a non-emergency local situation of utterly mundane and commonplace dimension to "team cover"? I mean, they laid out all that money for the fancy machine that makes the overlay title graphics. They might as well use it.

People think Californians all but ignore earthquakes, that we take them in our easy stride as part of our daily lives. This is not true. We simply get over them faster, assuming we are not lying at the bottom of a giant pile that used to be, say, an apartment block or a parking garage. Then it tends to keep your attention. But otherwise what you do when the shaking stops is call everyone you know and say "Did you feel it?" right before you play the Richter Scale game. That's a game where you randomly pick a number on the scale, the other person in the conversation does the same thing and then you take turns abusing each other for their obvious idiocy. And thus the nervous tension dissipates.

My dad is from Michigan, born and raised, still lives there. He was out once and we had a very, very minor--but noticeable--earthquake. It took several hours for him to regain his ability to speak and about four days for the color to return to his face. I had the same reaction the first time I ever visited him in winter, so geographically I guess we're even.

But like anyone else, Californians do exactly what you'd expect when an earthquake hits. We say things like "Oh holy fuck!" when the first BOOM! hits. If the first BOOM! hits and then fades away into a slow rattle, then you're OK. If there's a second BOOM!, you're in trouble. We do know we're supposed to stand in a doorway, something that sounds so stupid in times of clarity and geological stability, but suddenly seems eminently reasonable when your house is swaying. Of course it really makes as much sense as those old 1950s educational films that said you should flop down in a gutter and cover yourself in newspaper in the event of a nuclear attack. The idea, I guess, is to give the relief workers something to laugh about as they're climbing over the pile that used to be your house. "Hey Frank, take a look. Here's another dumb-fuck in a doorway. Heh heh. Let me know if you find the rest of his torso."

Topic shift, one last thing before the weekend:

Our kids are in Sunday school. We don't do it so much for the Jesus of it but mostly so the aren't in church with us during Mass, screaming out things like "my butt is itchy" (which they have) while the priest is up at the altar slitting the goat's throat.

Did I mention we were Catholic?

Anyway, at home my boys and I play this game where I lay on the floor and they all jump on me. It's fine with me since I don't have to move a whole lot. Basically it's a variation on a game they play call Smash Daddy's Testicles Flat. Essentially every game they play is a variation on that. I say they because at the same time, I'm playing a related but very different game called Protect My Junk From Pointy Kids' Knees. I don't always win.

How are these related? Well, recently when I've been laying on the floor, my three-year-old has been pulling my arms out straight, perpindicular to my body. Then he beats his little meatball fist against my palm, then does the same thing to the other arm/palm until I'm stretched out like a capital T. Then he announces: "There. I nailed you to a tree like Jesus and now you're going to die."

And I did.



This post on the Narcissus Scale: 4.4 (in honor of my brethren in Fontucky)


Pops

Comments:
HeWhoSucksAtGolf also has to protect All Things Nad from jumping little girls who like to climb Daddy like a tree and then will inevitably lunge a knee into the groin region when he least expects it.

We don't do the nailing Jesus to the tree routine, although it sounds like some sort of Catholic father indoctrination. Have you asked your fellow parishioners if they've fallen victim to this as well?

Close as we've come to anything Jesus over the past month: My two year old would say "I see the baby Jeenus" when we saw Nativity scenes on lawns as Christmas. Praise be to Jeenus.
 
Yes, this so-called earthquake that had you all rattled (ha ha). I think I was at the gym when it happened, and didn't feel a thing--found out about it from the news. I think the quake that made the most impression on me was the Northridge quake, back in '93 or '94...? Now that was an earthquake. Anyway, heartwarming anecdote about your kid trying to nail you to an imaginary cross. That's great. Really.
 
Maybe she was saying she saw "the baby, genus..." and then got stuck because she couldn't remember the Latin biological classification for humans.

Or maybe she got embarrassed because the genus for human is Homo.

Or maybe she couldn't parse it all out because Jesus is supposed to be half-divine and no scientific nomenclature exists for such a creature.

Sure, it SOUNDS like a cute mispronunciation, but it might just be budding scientific genus. Er, genius.
 
Steph: Please never post comments while I am also doing so simultaneously. It really throws off the comment order. Thanks.

And you were at the gym at 6:30 in the morning? You disgust me.
 
Half-divine? You better get back to your catechism, mister. He's supposed to be ALL-divine, and all man, too (as he was fond of telling Mary Magdalene). Not only that, but he and his father were the SAME PERSON (Who would you have to have sex with to be your own son?). And they had some kind of threesome, too, another guy who was the same person, only different.
No wonder the priests are going bonkers.
 
Anonymous: That was me. Never post anonymously again, me.

Larry: I was obviously speaking scientifically and not theologically.
 
I love throwing off your order--inadvertently or otherwise. You're so persnickety about stuff, sheesh. No cross-talking, no simultaneous commenting... Pretty soon you're going to be walking around with Kleenex boxes for shoes or something.
 
LOL Steph. The kleenex-box-as-shoes image has always been a fave.
 
Steph: The Kleenex boxes are sort of small, so I improvise by taping the lid of shoeboxes down and then cutting a hole in the top for ease of insertion. Is it just me, or did that end up sounding dirty?

MPH: Click here for all the cheese information you could ever want or needSJ:...
 
"Ease of insertion?" "Spread my cheese?" What kind of cesspool of iniquity has this bucket become? That's it, I'm going straight over to MPH's conservative haven known as "Heightened Thoughts" and not coming back until you clean this place up, mister.
 
"Cesspool of iniquity"... wow, I really like the sound of that. I'm considering changing the name of my blog to that now.
 
What? I don't check for two whole days and there is no new post? Oh how I need the sweet infusion of another Bucket post, sinful and Godless as it is... *sprawling to the floor in a shamed heap, heroin junkie-style*
 
That's the kind of devotion I like to see from my readers. Long story. And we all know I have no problem with long stories. More in a few.
 
I've just located your great Blog about Norfolk Terrier. Great information here, I will definitely be bookmarking your site so that I can come back and read some more. I also have a site and blog about Norfolk Terrier, so it's always great to read more about it on other peoples blogs.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger