Tuesday, January 18, 2005
 
I Guess Teetering On The Perpetual Brink Of Death Can Really Work Up An Appetite
It might not be evident or apparent from the gregarious and shining personality that comes bursting out of your computer screens every time you fire up the Bucket, but I don't like people. Not any one person in particular; particular persons I like fine. It's people I can't really tolerate. I'm speaking of the nameless, faceless masses that confront you every time you go anywhere or do anything, all of them waiting just outside your door to see how many ways they can fuck up your day.

So really, even though I'm physically able and over-educated, I don't mind not working a whole whole lot. I do miss the activity and the product of work, but mostly that's because my last "job" was graduate school. Unless you count my summer temp job working for a company that was essentially a ponzi scheme. Which I don't.

When you're a teenager and you need--need--money to buy CDs and burritos and gas, you really can't avoid people. Being unskilled labor, you really have no choice. There are times when I wish I were a woman, then I could have hopped on the stripper-pole for a few years to pay for my education right after I paid off my implants. Sure, there are people there too, but you can make six-figures. Any social anxiety can be slept off on a bed stuffed with money.

Being a doughy, bookish, slightly pasty (but still devastatingly handsome) male my main options were food service or video store. Recognizing my own limitations--did I need the temptation of spitting in people's food or, say, being in close proximity to very throwable hot french fry grease should the situation call for it--I went video store.

I quit that eventually after one of my coworkers was tied up and pistol whipped in the course of being robbed just before he closed the store one night. My before-tax $4.25/hour suddenly didn't seem quite worth it.

It's quite a resumé, innit? You'd hire me in a second, wouldn't you? Video store, ponzi scheme, grad school. All I need do is find something that combines all three of those elements... I'm thinking State Senate.

I'm considering home-schooling the kids. That way I can hide here forever. And think of how much we'd all benefit from the corporal punishment regimen.

Considering all this, yesterday then I was completely unprepared for my Monday Night Bingo Kitchen Volunteer experience.

Each family at my kid's school is required to volunteer one night to work the church's Monday night bingo. You can either work the kitchen (4-8:30) or "the floor" (6-10). Being none too keen on the idea of directly dealing with really old people armed with various walking implements and their deadly-serious bingo cards, I chose kitchen.

My vast video-store experience, you will be surprised to know, did me absolutely no good. Nobody once asked me where the new releases were or if they could reserve a copy of Last of the Mohicans.* Not one! Instead they kept asking me for hamburgers and fries and made me do math in my head.

I did find out alot about myself last night, though. For instance, I never knew that I had an irrational fear of the Deep Fat Fryer. Even if I had wanted to, there would be no spiteful greas-throwing. Every order of fries was a paralyzing moment of existential doubt and self-loathing. You see, it's really really hot all the time in there. And you put the fries in this basket and then lower it right into the really really hot grease and it... I don't know, it kind of explodes. There's all this noise and spitting and crackling... and no lid, thanks very much. There's no way that's safe.

There were two others in there, the kitchen regulars. Then there were the two volunteers, me and this guy Rick. Rick had done this "four or five times" already. So with all the panache and swagger of a doomed Homeric hero, he was on Fries Detail. And a good thing too as I was able to avoid what would have no doubt been a very embarrassing panic attack otherwise.

With help then, I survived. No one ever complained, which meant I had no opportunity to spit in anyone's food. But we have to do this at least once per year, so there will be other opportunities. In the meantime it's all microwave food for me if I need it warm. And the doors stay locked and the blinds drawn and the shotgun on top of the bookcase, all to keep the people safely outside.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 9.5


Pops


*="I will find you!" Man, that was a good movie. Whatever happened to Madeleine Stowe, anyway?

Comments:
I think Madeline Stowe should stay away from acting. Only Theresa Russell* is a worse actress, so that makes her pretty bad. *you'll have to imdb her yourself.

Good to know about the irrational grease fear though.
 
Acting schmacting. H-O-T.

And every male who raced through puberty in the late 1980s is intimately familiar with Theresa Russell's body. Of work. Her and Shannon Tweed.
 
You faced death (aka Deep Fat Fryer) and lived to tell the tale. The things you have to do for your kids! And since they're not lowly cats, I guess you can write all you want about them. You go.
 
It's a good thing I'm childless, because there are a lot of things I won't do for money, and if I wouldn't do it for money, I sure as hell wouldn't do it for greasy-fingered little mongrels either.
My theory is that people who reproduce are crazy.
 
I'm going out on a limb and saying Jay is under 30 years old. Yeah, we all said that about those crazy fuckers who had kids when we were 20 something. Kids are not overrated. Well, at least not 60-70% of the time.
 
Madelaine Stowe's best performance was fully nude in "Short Cuts." I highly recommend it.

Thanks for making me look up "Ponzi Scheme." I'll never be the same.
 
Steph: Bless you, Steph. You're a bigger man than I.

Jay: Your theory isn't far off the mark. The cruel secret is that we don't become crazy until AFTER the children are born. You don't have to be crazy in the first place, but it doesn't hurt.

SJ: Mostly just when they vomit.

Butcher: there are some "legal" ones still going, like Amway and... the place I used to work. So long as they nominally "sell" some cheap crap, they won't be prosecuted.

I'm glad I could educated, even if by accident.
 
My doting mother still participates in these mandatory participation nights for my sister who will be 17 next month. It never ends....even after church bingo nights are over there will be baseball nights or soccer nights or other horrors....

Run away!
 
Hey, you don't know me, but i'm leary of those read-and-never-comment folks, and would like to keep my self from that realm. So Pop's, i enjoy you and your blog terribly, so keep the posts coming or i shall die.
 
Jess: the people who RUN the Bingo kitchen started when their little girl was in fifth grade. Now she's 20 and has been out of that school for 7-8 years. And they STILL run the bingo kitchen every Monday night. Freaks.

Tatoo Thingy: 10-4, your life in my hands. I'm very comfortable with this arrangement. Welcome.

MPH: Fucking squirrels. I had a feeling.

And what the hell, did all your punctuation and SHIFT key stop working half way through that comment or what? That's the most running-on-est comment ever.
 
There are a few important things to remember when applying for a job in a video store. 1) Pick a low traffic video store. 2) Pick a low crime area. 3)Pick a video store with a DirecTV demonstration unit. Then proceed to watch any channel you want at work while waiting on 5-10 customers an hour (on a busy night). Add in 5 free rentals a week and you have a low interaction level at work combined with many hours of viewing pleasure.
 
Speaking of the great Madelaine Stowe canon, did you ever see her in Stakeout, that Emilio Estevez-Richard Dreyfus gem, in which she played a Latina? Oh hohohohohoho... you think it's entertaining to watch a bad actress? Try a bad actress with a bad accent--double your pleasure! It's great, and I do believe she does show some skin in that one too. But, she does make out with Richard Dreyfus, which might make you think twice...
 
Finding a job as a teenager sucks. And I also hate people. So I understand.
 
Rambuncle: My video store was in the days before Blockbuster ate everything. It was a little mom-and-pop one-store operation, so it was slow-ish. Very neighborhood. Very bad scary neighborhood sometimes, but still neighborhood.

Plus I stole from that place. With both hands. Constantly.

Steph: That Dreyfuss... he's only good in some very particular roles. Not so much when he has to... you know... kiss somebody. Bleh.

And not only have I seen Stakeout, I've seen Stakeout 2, the super-duper Rosie O'Donnell vehicle absolutely-necessary sequel. Bleh again.

K: Perfect comment. Everyone copy off K's paper. Short. Concise. Agrees with me. Can't ask for more.
 
am just trying to heave my ass off the floor and back onto its chair from where i fell off from laughing too hard at your post, thanks for brigthening my day big style! totally with you on the 'people' issue... generally i'd be happy if i could spend my life with dogs... not in a creepy way of course... i can cope with the idiosyncracies of animals, but not of people... they do suck, till you get to know them that is x
 
Thanks for the comment, Fee. Glad to know I am causing some of my readers a small amount of physical discomfort to go along with the mental and psychological torment I offer free of charge.

However, I find most people will only suck AFTER I get to know them a little. Or if I pay them in advance.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger