Tuesday, January 11, 2005
 
A Rose By Any Other Name Would Be Called Something Else Entirely, Wouldn't It? Seriously, I'm Asking
I've been thinking and thinking about it, but it's no use. No matter how many times I mull it over it makes no sense. Could it really be true? And if it is, is there any crazy, crazy notion in this whole messed up world that couldn't be true?

Whatever the consequences, I have to admit it. It's true: I don't know anyone named Nancy.

Not only do I not currently know anyone named Nancy, I have never in my life personally met anyone named Nancy.

How could this be possible? Does this make sense to anyone else?

Sure, I've seen them on TV. There's Access Hollywood's chipper-scary bleach-toothed fake blonde Nancy O'Dell, the late Livia Soprano herself Nancy Marchand and of course the most famousest Nancy of them all, Facts of Life's Nancy McKeon. But that's like saying I know the stars because I've seen the sun.

I guess in some ways it kind of makes sense. According to the Social Security Administration's Baby Name Registry, Nancy ranks 74th amongst female names given in the 1970s (the decade I was born), equal with the male name Philip and I've only known one Philip. Total asshole, by the way. If you're reading this Phil, you're an asshole.

But as far as Nancy's popularity goes, it hasn't always been that way. I mean, 74th in the 1970s is down from 26th in the 1960s and a perpetual Top Ten for the thirty years preceding that. Nancy used to be the Brittany or Ashley of its day.

Hmm, maybe that's the problem. Hold on, I think I may have cracked it: Nancy was killed by its own ubiquity. Used to be whenever you met some girl, chances were better than one in ten that her name was Nancy. Perhaps it was so popular that the very name itself built around it such a powerful, explosive bundle of cultural weight and energy that the cross-identification of name and gender spun out of control, wreaking havoc across the linguistic landscape, laying waste to all in its path. And then as Hurricane Nancy's destructive force was spent, amongst the detritus and debris in its horrible wake, we were stuck with the association: Nancy = Girl.

And then, because we as males are always looking for new ways to ostracize, humiliate and belittle our peers--especially, say, during our playground years or when we want our sons not to run like such a goddamn girl--"nancy", like "mary" before it, found its way into schoolyard vocabulary to denote the feminine characteristics displayed by males.

O Nancy, how far you have fallen! From 74th most popular name given to American girls in the 1970s to a common epithet we use when we think the company we're in won't tolerate "faggy".

So now the only Nancys I know--that any of us know, be honest--are all actually more properly "nancies". But I don't see that as a permanent strike against the name. The tide may be turning. We've already got "metrosexual". Where "nancy" used to mean the inability to throw a ball, now maybe--and I can barely bring myself to dare to hope--"nancy" can mean well-dressed, good-smelling, neatly groomed, all singing, all dancing, all fabulous human being.

I hope for this before all else. Before world peace, before the health and well-being of my children, before a lake of gravy that only I know about. It's that important.

Tomorrow: why are there so many chicks named Cathy?



This post on the Narcissus Scale: 4.3


Pops


NOTE: I had effed up the link to the SSA baby name thingy. Instead you had a double dose of Nancy McKeon, which isn't as appealing to me as it was in 1987. Fixed.

Comments:
I'm sure some day "Britney", "Jennifer," and "Ashley" will suffer the same fate as Nancy, thank God! That name probably hit its peak with the Nancy & Sluggo cartoon, and was never able to climb back up. This topic of names is interesting--my friend Virginia's mom's name is Hazel, and we were talking about how you NEVER hear of anyone being named Hazel these days. And what does Julia Roberts go and name her kid? Yep--I believe Hazel is on the ascendance even as we speak. And heck, if I ever have a daughter, maybe I should get on the Hazel bandwagon too... If it's a boy, it's definitely Dick.
 
Ack, the non-trendy name thing. Way back in the year 2000, we chose the name Emma because it was NON-trendy, but yet it was a real name. It wasn't "Kaleigh" or "Caden" which are complete bullshit, made-up names. I had also liked this name for 10 years or so and always had it in mind for a girl's name.

Then, 3 years later, the fucking union of Rachel and Ross on Friends named their baby Emma and now that name was the MOST POPULAR NAME in 2004 (and it was #2 in 2003) Can you tell I'm a little peeved about this? All these frigging Emmas around, when you hadn't really heard that name since the 1920s.

I honestly just don't want people thinking I named my child after a fake baby on Friends. (I was 3 years ahead of them! So there.)

Madison wasn't a girl's name 'til bad-actress Darryl Hannah called herself that when she played a mermaid. Now it's all over the playground. (I still think it's not a real name though, even though I know several of them, all nice kids. With stupid names.)
 
Steph: What the hell is Nancy & Sluggo? Sid & Nancy maybe, but...?

And all the old school names are coming back. We're in for a whole generation of Hazel and Mabel and Gertrude and Henry and Miles and Jack. But, you know, all purposely spelled wrong. The first "Jaq" I meet is a dead man.

SJ: The SSA thing ranks Emma #132 in 1990 and #2 in 2003. Congratulations! That's quite a climb. It almost matches my niece (she's 2), whose name went from #849 in 1990 to #11 in 2003.

I heard my youngest's name on TV last year too. I was heartbroken. It's still above #100 in the rankings, though. I'm much more original than you.
 
Jesus Pops, you just gave away ALL of my planned baby names. Fuckin-A, man.

I have a certain queasy feeling when I read that my name has been in the top 10 for the past 30 years. At least I wasn't named Kristyl. Or Jack.

Actually, I'm pretty grateful for Sarah. My mom wanted to call me Polly. If that'd have been the case, I'd surely have committed suicide by now.
 
Sunny: Oh come on, there was the excellent, excellent film of a few years ago Along Came Polly with... er... somebody. I forget. Anyway, just think how popular you'd be right now.

MPH: Any mention of Nancy McKeon tends to eclipse little fish like Nancy Reagan. Or Nancy Sinatra.

And I'm over my long-distance minutes for this month (already! Can you believe it? Goddamn Swedish phone sex lines), so good luck with that overdose thing.
 
I think this whole discussion speaks well for made-up names, like Trudell, ShaLandra, Makisa, etc. Why do we have to recycle the old ones? It just increases the risk that your kids will have the same name as everyone else. My friend M wanted to name her daughter D'ylene, but the database at the hospital wouldn't accept apostrophes. So the nightmare begins: Computers are starting to tell us what we CAN'T name our kids. On this slippery slope it may not be long before they start to tell what we MUST name them.
Pops, get rid of the XP machine while there's still time. It can READ YOUR LIPS. A 386 running DOS should be safe.
And Pops, I am truly sorry for this bit of crosstalk, but this link is for sunny, who might have been Polly. It wouldn't have been that bad, sweetheart.
 
OMG! Will someone just please tell me how to post a link within a comment before I die all stupid and shit? And I was going to mention Nancy Reagan, too, but Mr. I'm-Taking-Over-The-World-By-Melting-Everyone's-Brains did before I could. But what about Nancy Drew? That hot chaste little mystery solver just beats the crap out of the other women listed, even the Polly Bergen chick.
 
Larry: At least the hospital computer had a modicum of sense in its silicon brain. "D'Ylene" sounds like "DIE EILEEN!", which is rude.

Plus, these people need to consider that these kids are going to have their names ALL THE WAY INTO ADULTHOOD. So to my dear friend who named her daughter Daisy... way to block that kid from ever being anything but a coffee-shop guitar player.

HFB: I meant to mention Nancy Drew. Thanks.

And you have to type links out by hand with all the [a href="http://whateverthefuck.com"]Like This[/a], but with the >< instead of the ][

Or you could just leave the URL. We'd figure it out.
 
HFB, you have to use the a href="http://wholefuckingurl.url.com" thing in comments to post a url. (Using those pointy brackets, too.)
 
Pops and I simultaneously posted. Again. I need a cigarette.
 
I RULE.
 
HFB: Now that you are a geek, you must use your power for good. For example, only post links in Pops' comment section. This really gets his goat.
Pops: I'm not buying it. By your reasoning, we'd all be named John and Mary. John OR Mary, I mean.
 
SJ: Hot.

Dig the similarity in the phoney baloney URLs too.

HFB: All that work for a link to Nancy Drew Squaresville. Talk about an anti-climax.

Larry: Hmm... "JohnOrMary Jones"... I don't know, it's OK. Very avant garde in a post-gender kinda way. Whatever blows your skirt up, kid.
 
If you follow in the vein of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, you could name your children Rumor or Scout (I'll leave out Tallulah because, hey, that's a prostitute's name). How about I name my first child "cheese" or "acne"? It would have about the same amount of functionality. At least they're real words.

My favorite name for a celebrity child in '03? Pilot Inspektor. Wonder if he'll get beat up on the playground...hmmmm...
 
Scout... that's a dog's name. As in "Here Scout! Scout! C'm'ere Scout! Bad! Bad Scout!"

And the less said about Pilot Inspektor the better.
 
Damn, that name thing sucks. I can't believe that in the 80's there were more dumbass guys named Bruno than Avram. I know of a few other Avrams, although some were born in the 70's. At least Abram which is close enough made it to #875, higher than Baby at #886
 
Avram! Hey! I have no idea who you are! This is awesome!

New readers are so exciting.

Sorry about the name thing. I blame your parents.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger