Monday, August 16, 2004
 
Down With The Sickness
Men's Handball, Slovenia vs. Croatia, came on the MSNBC, which is apparently now a sports channel. I can understand the impulse to be known as something other than the place who employs Joe Scarborough.

But I'm howling and screaming at the television, living and dying with each... wait a second. I don't even know enough about Team Handball to describe it in even the most general terms. Why in God's name am I sitting through this. It can't be interesting to me, not really. It's not even an American team playing. Do we even have an American Team Handball team?

Wait wait wait... oh no... I should have felt it coming on. The twitchy fingers, the over-stimulated adrenal gland, the increased susceptibility to syrupy lead-in personality profiles of athletes, the overwhelming urge to watch badminton, the full-body rash of itchy, festering boils...

It's here. I have it. Again. Every four years I get it.

I've got Olympic Fever.

It explains everything except the boils. I can't really account for those. But the ointment seems to be helping.

The six headed monster of NBCTelemundoBravoUSAMSNBCCNBC is showing up to 70 hours daily (!) of Olympic coverage.

Usually I would use this space to make fun of their eager-beaver earnestness and then point out the dark, cynical underpinnings of the whole corporate broadcast culture, but how am I supposed to have time to do that when women's fours coxless rowing is about to come on? I mean it's seventy hours a day. As a solitary human being limited by the linear progression of time and the inability to occupy more than one space simultaneously, I simply don't see how I'm supposed to keep up with this.

The amplified coverage has led to an amplified outbreak, at least in terms of intensity. I'm hoping the fact that the Fever has taken such complete hold so quickly will mean it will burn out sooner so two weeks from now I won't be trying to figure out how to watch men's trap shooting and tape mixed doubles table tennis at the same time.

I was actually disappointed by the USA-Puerto Rico basketball game. "Oh God, really?" you say. Really. I'm not kidding about this. I got it bad.

I even watched the "show" portion of the three-day equestrian event. That's show. Not jump, not run, not count by stamping on the ground, just show. The horses come out, they walk around, then they stop. There is some kind of objective scoring going on, but I will go to my grave never having known what it was. But I watched it, just like I'm supposed to. I even got a little thrill when the American horse came out.

What is wrong with me? I mentioned a few posts ago how I'm susceptible to hype. That's part of it, though you'd think I'd see it coming since it's a regular quadrennial event and all. But I find the fact that these people spend all their lives training for their one moment in the Olympic spotlight very compelling. That's the most disturbing part; my personality normally dictates that I make fun of people so myopic and single-minded.

OK here, let's try that. I will mock an Olympian.

Hey, there's that Michael Phelps swimmer guy. He was supposed to win 8 gold medals and he couldn't even... God, he couldn't even...

No, sorry, can't. It's too painful to talk about still.

If anyone knows of an antibiotic I can take for this, please feel free to share.


This post on the Narcissus Scale: 6.0


Pops

Comments:
Oh, I didn't say I was interested in it, just that I watched it. And I will never, ever know why, I don't think.
 
take it from the resident pharmacy technician..

unless it's been determined by a doctor, you don't want to take an antibiotic. just for the record.. you know. just in case anyone who doesn't actually have to know about pharmacy shit (or is as paranoid as i am about the anti-bacterial trend - as i was, even pre-pharmacy), gives a rat's ass.

glad to hear the ointment is working, though. those boils can be a bitch, take it from someone who doles out the ointment.
 
Katie: Volunteers are frightening people and they get exactly what they deserve. Helping people for "no reason"... please. I'm not falling for that.

MPH: All right, lordy, stop begging. I'll add a link to yours here too. You have to go into that template thingy and add it. I'd tell you the HTML for it, but I don't know it off hand. Me stupid.

Sunny: My mom's a nurse, so I know I'm not supposed to take antibiotics unless pus is oozing out of something.
That was probably the grossest thing I've ever said. Welcome to the fray.

Lordy, it's getting all busy in here. I had no idea my animal magnetism was transmissible via the Internet.
 
First of all, I too watched the Equestrian strolling or whatever it's called, and it took me about five minutes to realize that everytime the horse turned the corner, it was supposed to do a new step.
Second: People, learn your HTML. It's not that hard.
Go into your template and look for something that says sideboard or DIV. Then put this nice little code wherever you want.
[a href="url address"]name of website[/a]
replace the [] with <>
That's all you have to do. I don't feel like explaining how to make titles and all that fun stuff.
 
Yeah you people. Be smart like Pops and do so HML whatever stuff.
 
Hi there Blogger, I had been out looking for some new information on skin boils when I found your site and this post. Though not just what I was searching for, it drew my attention. An interesting post and I thank you for it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger