Thursday, December 09, 2004
 
BO'R-ing
Bill O'Reilly talking to a Jewish caller who is not crazy about the in-your-face Christmas extravaganza and the sometimes-associated inappropriateness of the message. This comes via his stupid ass radio show via Media Matters via The Rude Pundit:

O'REILLY: All right. Well, what I'm tellin' you, [caller], is I think you're takin' it too seriously. You have a predominantly Christian nation. You have a federal holiday based on the philosopher Jesus. And you don't wanna hear about it? Come on, [caller] -- if you are really offended, you gotta go to Israel then. I mean because we live in a country founded on Judeo -- and that's your guys' -- Christian, that's my guys' philosophy. But overwhelmingly, America is Christian. And the holiday is a federal holiday honoring the philosopher Jesus. So, you don't wanna hear about it? Impossible.

And that is an affront to the majority. You know, the majority can be insulted, too. And that's what this anti-Christmas thing is all about.

End quote.

This has been quite a week for the Ascendency of Global Conservatism (Washington Branch). Yesterday we had Rummy telling logistically hobbled, forcibly re-enlisted, unarmored soldiers to "suck it up, you big babies". There was the Falwell thing a few days ago where he was forced to categorically deny ever having eaten a gay person.

And now there's this. The three incidents do have one thing in common: self-important, puffed-up manly-men being challenged by people who don't buy what they're selling, leaving them to blurt out what they really think in exasperation. I don't pretend that this is strictly a conservative phenomenon, they just happen to be the only people in any kind of authoritative position right now. Harry Reid could come out tomorrow and say Osama bin Laden has been living in his basement for the last six months and nobody would care. Harry Reid is a Democrat.

It just occurred to me: you probably have no idea who Harry Reid is, do you? If you do, then you are afflicted with the same disease as I am and should seek treatment. Not knowing who Harry Reid is might just be a sign of functioning person-ness.

Anyway, back to making fun of conservatives: the election is over, the heady, frothy mixture of champagne and pure unadulterated power has been guzzled and the political inhibitions are dropping hard, like a fat guy with narcolepsy. The message now is: "We are going to do what we are going to do. The steamroller does not discriminate."

The really cool thing about Bill O'Reilly is that, even when invoking it, he finally kills off the lie of the "Judeo-Christian" tradition. He throws it in there out of reflex, because he feels like he has to ("I mean because we live in a country founded on Judeo -- and that's your guys' -- Christian, that's my guys' philosophy"), and still somehow manages to be patronizing and condescending even as he tries to be inclusive.

But by the last line, in the post-Bush re-election glow where we can all really say what we've been thinking of such a long time, in reference to the caller's complaint, he spells it out: "And that is an affront to the majority. You know, the majority can be insulted, too. And that's what this anti-Christmas thing is all about."

Christmas-->Christian-->American. Dissent is an "insult". No, better than that, dissent is de-stabilizing, it's rabble-rousing, it's akin to treason. It's the small band of quaint pagans and atheists rising up, just asking to be squished by the majority, those for whom the existence of the minority and their unorthodox positions is a barely tolerable nuisance.

Looking at the trend of recent weeks, I expect by tomorrow that Rush Limbaugh will make a public call for the "re-patriation" of black people to Africa and the blogosphere will implode from the sheer weight of it.



This post on the Narcissus Scale: 8.4


Pops

Comments:
GEEEEEEE --- FOOOOOUURRRTY-SEVVENNNN

BINGO!

"Dissent is an insult." That has sadly become the status-quo in our new, growing-ever-closer-to-fascist society. Every time I've heard that I've busted a vein. People only make this insinuation once to me.

I look forward to four more years of dissent. I'm dreaming up a scenario where me and a bunch of my buddies get drunk, dress up like indians, and throw tea into the harbor. That'll piss 'em off!!
 
I can't comment on this because I'm in total agreement. But who TF is Harry Reid?
 
Harry Reid could come out tomorrow and say Osama bin Laden has been living in his basement for the last six months and nobody would care. Harry Reid is a Democrat.Of course they wouldn't care, because they all know that Bush captured Osama in the opening months of the Afghan Invasion. Scott McClellan has been directing the new Osama videos when they come out.

Need to pay more attention to the news. Harry Reid called Clarence Thomas an "embarassment" as a Supreme Court Justice, and is now the most racist person in all of America (at least that's what THEY tell me). Some Righties think they are getting payback for Trent Lott, cause he obviously wasn't REALLY racist.
 
Butcher: The only problem is, I can't think of a similar American harbor where a bunch of tea might be the cleanest thing floating in it. How are you sure anyone would notice? Shit, they might give you a medal.

SJ: Hmm, you leave a comment saying how you can't comment. You just blew my mind.

Harry Reid is ONLY the most senior-ist, highest-ranking Democrat in all of the United States government, which is to say he's nobody at all. He's taking over for the booted Daschle as Minority (sigh...) Leader.

Rambuncle: Your name implies that you are Rambo's Uncle. True or false?

There's nothing wrong with Clarence Thomas. Every supergroup needs a "quiet one". The Beatles had George, the SC has CT.
 
Maybe Clarence should change his last name to "Token," like that black kid in South Park.
 
Steph, that is such an insult. Token from South Park actually uses his brain.
 
Hm, yes Carol--I will have to grant you that. Does CT even use his mouth, for crying out loud? I haven't heard anything from or about that man since the whole Anita Hill hoo-ha. I think he's really dead and the SC's pulling a Weekend at Bernie's kinda thing. Sad that no one even noticed he's no longer alive.
 
Steph: Since South Park post-season 2 is in my pop culture blind spot, I'm going to pretend I know exactly who and what you're talking about so as not to seem lame and out of touch. Here goes:

Ahem.

Yeah. That guy, that "Token". Totally.

Carol: More new commenters! Normally I would swoon and fawn over you, but I've been inundated with new people over the last few days (nearly 4 so far!). Exhaustion dictates that I merely thank you very much for you patronage and invite you back in the event you're ever in the mood to read more nonsense.

MPH: Spoken like a true Red Stater. It's inspiring: even when you're 7 feet tall, you can still fit in.
 
Attention, all new people! Ignore MPH, and come on over to MY site The Un-Common Tater, which Pops has also conveniently linked to. Unlike MPH and Pops, who take turns ripping each other off, I rip off ALL my readers, therefore I rule!
 
HFB: Gender double standard! If I can call a man a whore, why is it different if I call a woman... oh, right. See what you mean. Very sorry.

SJ: What you meant to say was: "Another comment to say I can't comment on all you whores. But you can read many of my comments and commentaries on my blog, Give Me The Booger."
 
I'm a day behind on this, but I believe I've got the most right in saying I RULE. This is because (as I'm sure you all noticed) I am the reason behind at least one of Pops new commenters. Therefore, you should all take the time to send readers to my site, Sunshine and Lollipops, because I'm the best.

That is all.
 
Alright, alright, credit where credit is due. But if you're angling for some kind of finder's fee, I wouldn't hold my breath.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

Powered by Blogger